[comp.unix.microport] Questions about upgrading to unix.

sback@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Steve Back) (02/22/89)

A while ago I decided to upgrade from MS-DOS to unix. (Do I really need
to explain why?) But after several months of going though the mags and
getting some info through the mail, it's time to call for help.

    Base system (what I have now)
       PS2 Model 80-44
       40 Meg. Drive.
       1000K
       VGA with color mon.
       HP LJ2

    Looking for

      4000K || >
      100 || > Hard Drive storage (plan to run X)
      Tape backup (nice if its compatible with Sun's SCSI cartridge)
      Unix os.  (or close look/work alike)

Problems I know about.
  Memory is a real **** to get, especialy 32 bit memory.
  The 80-44 has an odd hard drive controller that makes most
  3rd parts drives incompatible. (this is in addition to the MCA problems)

Being that I waited this long I'm am tempted to wait for AIX, especily
since it looks like its going to have display postscript and a
NeXT computer like interface. (I'm spoiled by SunTools and X)

Since I already have the investment in the Model 80 I'd like to make
the upgrade as easy as possible. Lets say < $3000 total (I'm dreaming
I'll probably end up spending that, for the memory alone)

Any pointers, favorite manufactures suggestions?

sback@elbereth.rutgers.edu
 back@r2d2.rutgers.edu
 back@arakis.rutgers.edu

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/24/89)

Seems pretty easy.  Sell the IBM dog, get something generic but
decent like an AMI/Mylex motherboard base system with 4MB on
board and some disk.  Then buy Microport or ENIX.  Total cost
should be <$3000 for the box with 4MB and what you sell the
IBM for should cover the disk drive and software.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (02/26/89)

In article <1721@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:

>Seems pretty easy.  Sell the IBM dog, get something generic but
>decent like an AMI/Mylex motherboard base system with 4MB on
>board and some disk.  Then buy Microport or ENIX.  Total cost
>should be <$3000 for the box with 4MB and what you sell the
>IBM for should cover the disk drive and software.
>--
>Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
>    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

I agree with Phil - the Mylex board works *very* well, and I've had no
real problems with Microport 3.0e, once I got rid of the Digiboard 8
port dumb serial card in the system.
--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Engineering Group (only somewhat confused, now)
Work - 208-526-3523 Home - 208-524-1906 UUCP Path: ...!bigtex!pmafire!dave

stacy@mcl.UUCP (Stacy L. Millions) (03/01/89)

In article <594@pmafire.UUCP>, dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) writes:
> In article <1721@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
> >
> >Seems pretty easy.  Sell the IBM dog, get something generic but
> >decent like an AMI/Mylex motherboard base system with 4MB on
>
> I agree with Phil - the Mylex board works *very* well, and I've had no

Sounds good to me, but for all my hunting I can not find a supply for
the mylex board. Can any one provide me with a phone number for Mylex?

-stacy

--
"He to whom the early bird runs best learns wisdom and patience!
                          ... I can never remember proverbs" - Charlie Brown