[comp.unix.microport] Imagen raster format

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (03/03/89)

Due to lack of response from Imagen (and the fact that both
SCO Xenix and Microport UNIX seem to generate it) I ask the question
here:
	Anyone know anothing about Imagen Impress raster format?
The only real clue I have is the mention in both the SCO documentation
and Microport documentation that it is 240 dpi.  I want to see if it
would be easy to convert this output to something real.
Thanks.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (03/04/89)

In article <1737@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) wrote:
>	Anyone know anothing about Imagen Impress raster format?
>The only real clue I have is the mention in both the SCO documentation
>and Microport documentation that it is 240 dpi.  I want to see if it
>would be easy to convert this output to something real.

	It's documented in the imPRESS programmer's manual that came
	with our 8/300.

	The imPRESS raster format, as I recall, is used by writing
	tiles (16x16 or 32x32, I don't remember which).  This means
	that you can't write long scan lines, you have to generate the
	tiles first.  It's not easy to turn this into a straightforward
	raster interface, but it's been done.  Check out the Imagen
	driver in the vplot package, from comp.sources.unix.  Joe
	Dellinger tore his hair out for awhile while he was putting it
	together, but it works, and works well.

	One nice thing about Imagen printers is that they have an
	Ethernet option that makes communications fast enough that
	high-resolution raster is practical.

	Chuck Karish	karish@denali.stanford.edu
			hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish