[comp.unix.microport] Is microport really gone?

menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) (03/04/89)

I too heard rumors of microports demise, plus the fact that they
were not at uniforum, I fear the worst, it does not bode well.

Interactive was at uniforum, and it looks like they have backing
and are planning on being around for a while, so I was thinking
of springing for interactives unix, X windows, vp/ix, and Xenix
compatibility are here now, I might die before microport brings
them out.  But, (there's always a but), will my binary applications
for microport 386 run on interactive 386.

I have word perfect, and bbx (which runs an accounting system), and
since these were a hefty investment, and since interactive is now
a hefty investment, I would like to avoid being burned by everthing.

The unix system is being used in an office to do real work, and while
this may seem hum-drum to a unix hacker, the people who are currently
using the system are not pleased at all at the prospect of having
to throw it out.

Does anyone have any experience with running binary application on
both microport 386 and interactive 386? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

I have wrestled with microport for so long now that I wish (no don't
say it) that I had gone with xenix.  I really hate to say this, I
don't care for xenix too much and would rather have real system V,
but I would rather have a REAL SYSTEM.

Enough rambling.  Thanks in advance.

-randy

Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!menna 	work: 408-991-0249
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!spliff!menna 	play:

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/05/89)

In article <14578@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
:
:I too heard rumors of microports demise, plus the fact that they
:were not at uniforum, I fear the worst, it does not bode well.

They may be going (I don't know), but they are not gone yet.
They answered their phone yesterday.

And as far as I know, all 386 UNIX versions (not XENIX) are
supposed to be binary compatible.

UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (03/05/89)

In article <14578@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:

>I too heard rumors of microports demise, plus the fact that they
>were not at uniforum, I fear the worst, it does not bode well.

They answered the phone on Thursday, and answered a technical question,
*after* asking for and receiving my support number.

>[ Stuff about Interactive ]
>But, (there's always a but), will my binary applications
>for microport 386 run on interactive 386.

I've run lots of Microport and Bell Tech compiled binaries under AT&T's
3.2 System V/386; all worked perfectly. The AT&T port is Interactive's,
as far as I know.
>Randy Menna					home: 408-292-0628
>UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!menna 	work: 408-991-0249
>UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!mips!spliff!menna 	play:

Dave
--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Engineering Group (only somewhat confused, now)
Work - 208-526-3523 Home - 208-524-1906 UUCP Path: ...!bigtex!pmafire!dave

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (03/05/89)

In article <598@pmafire.UUCP> dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) writes:
>In article <14578@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
>>But, (there's always a but), will my binary applications
>>for microport 386 run on interactive 386.
>
>I've run lots of Microport and Bell Tech compiled binaries under AT&T's
>3.2 System V/386; all worked perfectly.

This is mostly, but not 100%, true.  I suppose it could be true
for uPort and Bell Tech binaries, but it is not the case that all
Interactive 1.0.6 binaries will work under Interactive 2.0 (a.k.a. V.3.2).

My counter example is EGA-wanderer, which I recently hacked
for 1.0.6.  Also, an EGA graphics library I built for 1.0.6.
Neither continues to work under 2.0.  The worst part is, the
documentation is so poor for the console display that I can't
even begin to figure out what the changes should be in order
to make this stuff work under 2.0.

I think you are probably safe as long as you don't depend upon
the behavior of any of the device drivers, including display,
keyboard, vt, and probably asy.  To my mind, that means anything
that is even close to being as sexy as most DOS applications.

--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2

johnt@bilver.UUCP (John Temples) (03/07/89)

In article <14578@quacky.mips.COM> menna@mips.COM (Randy Menna) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with running binary application on
>both microport 386 and interactive 386? Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

Any binary application compiled on Microport 386 should run on 386 i/x and
vice versa.  As for WordPerfect, I tried running the Microport version on
386 i/x.  It did run, but it had enough problems updating the screen to be
unusable.  This might be fixable by changing the console termcap entry; I
didn't try doing this.  It could be something more serious like differences
in the console driver -- has anyone gotten WordPerfect running on 386 i/x?
--
John Temples - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!johnt
                   : johnt@bilver.UUCP