[comp.unix.microport] ct on SysV386 3.0Ue

dean@pgthor.UUCP (9352) (03/07/89)

I've been playing around with the ct command on our SysV/386 occasionally
and have not been able to get it to work.  I called Microport many months
ago (when we had a previous version) and they said it didn't work.  Even
though it was documented!  Anyway - has anybody gotten it to work with this
version?  We have 2 modems that we'd like it to work with, including a
telebit.  Someone got an answer?

--
"Either he's dead, or my watch has stopped."
                         --Groucho Marx                Dean Heistad

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/09/89)

In article <584@pgthor.UUCP> dean@pgthor.UUCP (9352) writes:
 >I've been playing around with the ct command on our SysV/386 occasionally
 >and have not been able to get it to work.  I called Microport many months
 >ago (when we had a previous version) and they said it didn't work.  Even
 >though it was documented!  Anyway - has anybody gotten it to work with this
 >version?  We have 2 modems that we'd like it to work with, including a
 >telebit.  Someone got an answer?

I played around with ct on a uport V/AT system -- no success. Lately I
switched from my AT to an AT&T UNIX-PC, and the docs for the HDB uucp
package which comes for that states in the docs that "ct has not been tested".

Can anyone confirm that ct works on any System V box? Or is it generally
untested and probably not working?
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

mvadh@cbnews.ATT.COM (andrew.d.hay) (03/09/89)

In article <7475@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
"Can anyone confirm that ct works on any System V box? Or is it generally
"untested and probably not working?

i don't know how large you consider a 'box' to be (;^>) but i've used
ct frequently on vaxen and 3b2s.  (once, i set up a ct at job for the
middle of our vaxes weekly backup time.  the vax called me when it was
back on line; i was proc #116 [or thereabouts] and not even the
console was logged on!  it was odd having the whole vax to myself...)

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Apprentice Polymath	| Yes, the wages of sin ARE death, but after they take |

mal@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Martin A. Lodahl) (03/10/89)

In article <7475@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:
>Can anyone confirm that ct works on any System V box? Or is it generally
>untested and probably not working?

Years ago we experimented with "ct" on a PDP11-70 implementation of SVr2.
I can't recall the details, but I do remember that each time it was
used, uucp was utterly disabled, requiring fairly substantial "cleanup".
Needless to say, we dropped it.
--
= Martin A. Lodahl    		 Pac*Bell Minicomputer Support Staff =
= {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!mal     916/972-4821 =

raj@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (Richard A. Johnson) (03/10/89)

I used to use ct to call me at home when I had mail.  I did this
via a cron job that ran every hour from 6PM to 10PM weekdays, and
10 AM to 10PM on weekends.  It checked for mail, and if there was
any, it invoked ct to the computer line in my house.  If I was home
and the data line rang, I'd turn on my terminal and get a login:
prompt.

I had to stop this when I started getting a lot of junk mail
from root and uucp.  Also it was driving my wife crazy whenever
it rang and I wasn't home - she didn't want to login so she would
let it ring (and ring and ring - do you know how persistent the
uucp dial routine is?).

Another thing that has happened since then is that AT&T has decided
that ct is a security risk and we should not have it enabled on
our machines.  :-(

To get back to the original question, yes, ct does work on unix
machines - I had it working on a VAX running BSD, and a 3B2 running
SVR2 and SVR3.

Rich Johnson
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Whippany, NJ
(201) 386-7345
att!video!raj

rhc@nsscb.UUCP (Rick Calder) (03/10/89)

	The culprit is uugetty(1M).  See the manpage, it is documented as
a bug that uugetty breaks ct.  If the modem port is idle, ie no uugetty or
getty on it, then ct will work as advertised.  The idea is that there are
2 modem pools, one for incomming, with getty, and one for outgoing, that
are idle.  This is how life was prior to intelligent modems, and ct worked.

		Rick Calder, AT&T National Systems Support Center
				[att!]rick!rick
				attmail!rcalder

In article <696@nsscb.UUCP> rhc@nsscb.UUCP (Rick Calder) writes:

>This is how life was prior to intelligent modems, and ct worked.

>		Rick Calder, AT&T National Systems Support Center

Doesn't this imply that it is well past time to fix dial(3C) to
match reality?  That is, so it does everything HDB uucp and cu
do, like handle modem classes, TLI or STREAMS links, and per-service
setup files.  Yes, that will require changing the CALL struct to
pass the extra information (device class and calling program name).

Les Mikesell

johnk@grebyn.COM (John Kennedy) (03/11/89)

In article <7475@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) writes:

>Can anyone confirm that ct works on any System V box? Or is it generally
>untested and probably not working?

CT didn't work on a 3b2/400.  I, too, got the feeling that it doesn't
work anywhere.

--
__
John Kennedy            |        Second Source, Inc.

pim@ctisbv.UUCP (Pim Zandbergen) (03/14/89)

In article <696@nsscb.UUCP> rhc@nsscb.UUCP (Rick Calder) writes:

>	The culprit is uugetty(1M).  See the manpage, it is documented as
>a bug that uugetty breaks ct.  If the modem port is idle, ie no uugetty or
>getty on it, then ct will work as advertised.

I got ct(1) working with the following line in /etc/inittab:

51:234:respawn:sh -c 'sleep 60; exec /usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -rt 60 tty51 2400'

This makes sure the line will be idle for 60 seconds after hanging up.
In my case, that is enough to have ct(1) call me back.

Another problem with ct(1), is that it looks in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices
what devices are available, and if there's only one and you're on it,
ct(1) will inform you that there are no devices available.

So you will have to start ct, being logged out. I use the following
Korn Shell alias:

alias callback='nohup sh -c "sleep 3; ct -s2400 123456">/dev/null & stty 0'

I suppose a Bourne Shell function could do the same trick.
--
Pim Zandbergen      | phone: +31 70 542302 | CTI Software BV