[comp.unix.microport] 386 Unix/Xenix via Inboard 386?

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (03/07/89)

Is it possible to upgrade a 286-based system using the Intel
Inboard/386 to successfully run 386 Unix or Xenix?  A friend
is looking to possibly upgrade and is wondering if this is a
viable alternative to replacing the motherboard.

Please reply by e-mail.  Thanks.

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "Well, if it wasn't Buckaroo Banzai, I'd say 'commit the man.'"
		 - where else?

fischer@netmbx.UUCP (Axel Fischer) (03/14/89)

In article <7945@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) writes:
>Is it possible to upgrade a 286-based system using the Intel
>Inboard/386 to successfully run 386 Unix or Xenix?  A friend
>is looking to possibly upgrade and is wondering if this is a
>viable alternative to replacing the motherboard.
Of course it's possible. Some friend of me has a 286 with a 386 Inter InBoard.
It works fine.
But I wouldn't recommend it because:

- What are you doing when your old 286'er Motherboard dies ?
- The 286 Systembus is only 12 MHz fast - that means you can't
  use the 20 Mhz performance (or whatever) of the Inboard.
- It's not much cheaper than replacing the motherboard.

-Axel

--
Domain:        fischer@netmbx.UUCP
Europe:        ...!tmpmbx!netmbx!fischer