[comp.unix.microport] COM1

mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) (03/10/89)

We have a CompuAdd 386/20 running uport SYS V and DOSMerge.  I would
like to be able to run the PC version of kermit using the unix
/dev/tty00 port.  I have tried everything in the DOSMerge book and
nothing seems to work.  Either I am missing something or it just
doesn't work.  Any insight and / or examples / explanations / etc
will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mike O'Donnell

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/10/89)

In article <11109@ut-emx.UUCP> mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
>We have a CompuAdd 386/20 running uport SYS V and DOSMerge.  I would
>like to be able to run the PC version of kermit using the unix
>/dev/tty00 port.  I have tried everything in the DOSMerge book and
>nothing seems to work.  Either I am missing something or it just

I've had no luck either.  I think someone is going to have to get the
kermit sources and figure out what is wrong.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (03/16/89)

In article <11109@ut-emx.UUCP>, mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
] We have a CompuAdd 386/20 running uport SYS V and DOSMerge.  I would
] like to be able to run the PC version of kermit using the unix
] /dev/tty00 port.  I have tried everything in the DOSMerge book and
] nothing seems to work.  Either I am missing something or it just
] doesn't work.

Don't bother trying.  I tried it.  It doesn't work.  Microport knows
it.  They don't care.  Or should I say, they didn't care.  Now they
don't exist, from what I've been hearing.
--
Bill Michaelson - Reply to: princeton!mccc!cosi!bill
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

mike@cimcorMN.ORG (Michael Grenier) (03/18/89)

From article <443@cosi.UUCP>, by bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson):
~
~ Don't bother trying.  I tried it.  It doesn't work.  Microport knows
~ it.  They don't care.  Or should I say, they didn't care.  Now they
~ don't exist, from what I've been hearing.
~ --

Hold on there....
    MSKERMIT talks right to the hardware so obviously is won't work
with /dev/tty00. You might take a crack at the generic DOS interface in
kermit but the DOS BIOS handles input from serial devices in a strange
way... .i.e the BIOS will NOT wait for input for any great length
of time before timing out which is a feature used by the ctty command
within COMMAND.COM   This feature allows MSKERMIT to regain control
and have non received packets time out properly. UNIX devices do
not have the problem and will properly wait on the read until the
read is satisfied unless the NDELAY ioctl flag is set which doesn't
seem to exist for DOS and thus MSKERMIT does not use it.

   You might argue that using the assign device interface into DOS
MERGE might be the answer...Communications programs have been know
to work this way. Could you guys be more specific in what you tried?

    -Mike Grenier
     mike@cimcor.mn.org

sparks@acer.UUCP (John Sparks) (03/19/89)

> In article <11109@ut-emx.UUCP>, mike@ut-emx.UUCP (Mike O'Donnell) writes:
> ] We have a CompuAdd 386/20 running uport SYS V and DOSMerge.  I would
> ] like to be able to run the PC version of kermit using the unix
> ] /dev/tty00 port.  I have tried everything in the DOSMerge book and
> ] nothing seems to work.  Either I am missing something or it just
> ] doesn't work.

Try Procomm under dosmerge. It seems to work ok for me. Remember to tell
the dos session to assign the serial ports to it.
use
     $ dos -acom1=/dev/tty00
or
     $ dos -adcom1=/dev/tty00

       ^^^(sometimes this one works better)

Procomm has kermit protocol.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
______________|          sparks@corpane.UUCP          | 502/968-5401 thru -5406

Beware of quantum ducks: Quark, Quark.