[comp.unix.microport] Backups on System V/AT

billd@celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) (03/17/89)

Sorry to bring back this old thread but it's one that bothers me.

Has anyone come up with a convenient, reliable backup method for
System V/AT (286)?  The last time I got this subject going, porting
dump was discussed (this would be ideal to me as it's a program
that I am familiar with on other systems).  I managed to sort of
port BSD 4.1 dump, or at least, get it so it made tapes without
complaining.  I don't know if it worked because restore is impossible
to port (or at least, it requires more time than I have).  restor seems
like a piece of crap and I can't get it to work either.  Has anyone
tried using PAX?  How about Gnu tar?  If anyone has a dump/restore
set-up going, I'd like to know about it.  Regular tar and cpio are
not good backup programs.  I currently use cpio because I can feed
it an arbitrary list of filenames.  I don't like it and reliability
is something of a problem with big backups.

	Bill Davidson
....!{ucsd|sdcsvax}!celerity!billd

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (03/19/89)

In article <268@celerity.UUCP> billd@celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) writes:
>Has anyone come up with a convenient, reliable backup method for
>System V/AT (286)?

You mean, besides tape?  Bell's tape drivers and drives work fine
(at least, in 286; in 386 I get some random kernel crashes and
have to see if they've updated the driver).  uport has drivers
for Everex.  Unless you confine yourself to small files...
in which case you could write scripts for interval backups to
floppies... the only way to go is tape.  Reloading from tape
also takes care of file system fragmentation.  Be sure
your backup code reads the tape for integrity after writing!

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk!norman
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840