[comp.unix.microport] Interactive

trb@ima.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) (03/07/89)

In article <1652@trantor.harris-atd.com> wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com (William Curtiss) writes:

> [ As a side note, Interactive was recently bought by Kodak. ]

William,
I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
Microport death rumors.  Our sale to Kodak was completed in July 1988,
it's not exactly hot news.  With Kodak capital, we aren't exactly close
to bankruptcy; in fact, if you want some current ISC news, we're buying
Lachman Associates.  (This is a fact that has been released by us to
the public, not a secret or a rumor.)  Associating Interactive with
Microport death rumors is unfounded if not insidious.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474

dzzr@beta.lanl.gov (Douglas J Roberts) (03/07/89)

In article <3422@ima.ima.isc.com>, trb@ima.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:
> In article <1652@trantor.harris-atd.com> wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com (William Curtiss) writes:
>
> > [ As a side note, Interactive was recently bought by Kodak. ]
>
> William,
> I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
> Microport death rumors.  Our sale to Kodak was completed in July 1988,
> it's not exactly hot news.  With Kodak capital, we aren't exactly close
> to bankruptcy; in fact, if you want some current ISC news, we're buying
> Lachman Associates.  (This is a fact that has been released by us to
> the public, not a secret or a rumor.)  Associating Interactive with
> Microport death rumors is unfounded if not insidious.

> 	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474
Insidious rumors?

In talk.rumors??

Perish the thought.

--Doug

jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) (03/07/89)

In article <3422@ima.ima.isc.com> trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:
>In article <1652@trantor.harris-atd.com> wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com (William Curtiss) writes:
>
>> [ As a side note, Interactive was recently bought by Kodak. ]
>
>I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
>Microport death rumors.

I have trouble imagining what you are so sensitive about.  As someone who
reccomends the various flavors of UNIX to clients, William's posting did
nothing to undercut the good impression I have of Interactive.  I mean,
postings are traditionly informal and often rambling, but he went to the
trouble of placing it in brackets and prefixing "As a side note", for heaven's
sake.

Postings like William's are what I read news for.  The additional materials in
Andrew's were also helpful.  I do not like to leave the accusation that a
perfectly proper, responsibly presented and true remark should not have been
made, unanswered.  Usually, I think what I have just said is more appropriate
for Email, but I worry about the potential chilling effect.  I would worry
if a company feels it has to supress comment about it on the net.
--

Jeffrey Kegler, President, Algorists,
jeffrey@algor2.UU.NET or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

wcurtiss@x102c.harris-atd.com (Curtiss WC 67625) (03/07/89)

In article <3422@ima.ima.isc.com> trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:

>William,
>I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
>Microport death rumors.  Our sale to Kodak was completed in July 1988,
>it's not exactly hot news.  With Kodak capital, we aren't exactly close
>to bankruptcy; in fact, if you want some current ISC news, we're buying
>Lachman Associates.  (This is a fact that has been released by us to
>the public, not a secret or a rumor.)  Associating Interactive with
>Microport death rumors is unfounded if not insidious.

That is the idea I was attempting to convey: that Interactive is backed
by a sound company.  I'm sorry if it sounded that I was impling otherwise.

William Curtiss         407/984-6383            | "The only good martyr
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902               |  is a dead martyr."
Internet: wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com |

beser@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) (03/07/89)

In article <3422@ima.ima.isc.com>, trb@ima.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:
> In article <1652@trantor.harris-atd.com> wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com (William Curtiss) writes:
>
> > [ As a side note, Interactive was recently bought by Kodak. ]
>
> William,
> I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
> Microport death rumors.  Our sale to Kodak was completed in July 1988,
> it's not exactly hot news.  With Kodak capital, we aren't exactly close
> to bankruptcy; in fact, if you want some current ISC news, we're buying
> Lachman Associates.  (This is a fact that has been released by us to
> the public, not a secret or a rumor.)  Associating Interactive with
> Microport death rumors is unfounded if not insidious.
>
> 	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474

 I read the previous article, and as an unbiased opinion, I saw nothing
linking Interactive with Microport. To me, being bought by Kodak was
somewhat comforting, knowing that we won't be dealing with a
here today, gone tomorrow business.

Please continue the free flow of information, we see no death threats
for our authors here.

thanks for providing your insights.

Eric Beser
Westinghouse ESG
Baltimore

In article <3422@ima.ima.isc.com> trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:
>In article <1652@trantor.harris-atd.com> wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com (William Curtiss) writes:
>
>> [ As a side note, Interactive was recently bought by Kodak. ]
>
>William,
>I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
>Microport death rumors.
>......if you want some current ISC news, we're buying
>Lachman Associates......Associating Interactive with Microport death
>rumors is unfounded if not insidious.

I'll give you that..... but:

Why is it that Interactive (at least their East Coast offices) is playing
Microport-style games with the bugs in the 2.x version of the software?

We have a customer who bought (against our recommendation) your 1.0.6
software.  There was (and IS) a confirmed BUG in the installation procedure
which makes the BFI method of bad track entry worthless -- that is, it can't
do math correctly and calculates an incorrect sector offset.  Your
California offices have confirmed this as a bug during our telephone
conversations.  Unfortunately, the only method of bad track reporting that I
have ever seen on a fixed disk from the factory has been head/cyl/BFI....

V2.0 STILL had this problem, as did the "fix" disks that were sent (2.0.1?).
As of this day the trouble still exists.  Interactive has tried to claim
"you're the only one who has the problem", but we have a nice email letter
from another person who has run into the EXACT same difficulty, and HAS
reported it!  "Brian" at your East Coast offices is still maintaining (to
the customer; we've since dropped our interest in your OS!) that this one
installation is the ONLY one where the problem has surfaced.

It would be really nice if software was tested before shipment, especially
parts of the software that are essential to proper installation of a
working package!  I love the speed of your new V2.x release, but with this
nasty problem in the installation portion of the package I couldn't recommend
your product with a clear conscience.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    	"Quality solutions at a fair price"

mg@gritty.UUCP (mitch geier) (03/08/89)

                        Microport Dead?    The Real Story

        I  spent 3 days at Uniform with a few X Uport employees who  were
        busily  distributing there resumes to companies like Sun  &  Cray
        (who incidentally are both looking for good people).

        Any way what follows is information extracted from those  people.
        It's up to you to determine the accuracy of what follows.

             1    Uport was forced to move into Televido's building,  due
                  to non payment of rent.

             2    They owe monies to both AT&T and Locus.

             3    The President of the company resigned 2 weeks ago after
                  making  sure  enough money was given to  ADP  to  cover
                  salaries.

             4    All of Uports staff was let go on Feb 24 th

             5    Some  staff members were brought back as  outside  con-
                  sultants on a temporary basis.

        From  the above, it appears, while they are not out  of  business
        yet it is probably soon to come !!!!!

No matter how popular you are     |Mitch Geier            |USnail:
No matter how many friends you    |{..}!rutgers!gritty!mg |CECG Inc
have the size of your funeral     |Computer Education and |201 Throckmorton La
will be determined by the weather |Consulting Group Inc.  |Old Bridge NJ 08857

brian@cbw1.UUCP (Brian Cuthie) (03/09/89)

In article <3422@ima.ima.isc.com> trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:
>In article <1652@trantor.harris-atd.com> wcurtiss%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com (William Curtiss) writes:
>
>> [ As a side note, Interactive was recently bought by Kodak. ]
>
>William,
>I can't imagine what your intention is by associating Interactive with
>Microport death rumors.  Our sale to Kodak was completed in July 1988,
>it's not exactly hot news.  With Kodak capital, we aren't exactly close
>to bankruptcy; in fact, if you want some current ISC news, we're buying
>Lachman Associates.  (This is a fact that has been released by us to
>the public, not a secret or a rumor.)  Associating Interactive with
>Microport death rumors is unfounded if not insidious.
>
>	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474

Touchy, touchy, touchy...

I actually read William's article to imply that while uPort was going out of
business (finally!), that Interactive was doing well and in fact had been
purchased by a LARGE company with great capital resources.

I have owned the uPort product since it first came out on the 286.  I'm
running a 386 now and things have been better, but I was seriously wondering
how long it would take the pressures of competition to put those guys out of
business.  They just didn't (don't) seem to be able to get *anything* right.

-brian

--
Brian D. Cuthie                                 uunet!umbc3!cbw1!brian
Columbia, MD                                    brian@umbc3.umbc.edu

trb@ima.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) (03/10/89)

> I actually read William's article to imply that while uPort was going out of
> business (finally!), that Interactive was doing well and in fact had been
> purchased by a LARGE company with great capital resources.

Problem with vague statements and usenet and rumors is that different
people will interpret them in different ways.  You can't rely on people
interpreting things the sensible way.

Now, as for Karl Denninger's note about poor response on his troubles
with bad block handling in 386/ix 2.0, we in the Cambridge, MA office
of ISC (not the east coast office Karl refers to, which is, I believe,
our support office in Hollis, NH) are having problems with the bad
block support, and we are banging on the 386/ix hackers (in Santa
Monica) to fix it as well.  So, we know it's a bug.  If one of our
support people didn't realize it was a bug, give him a break.  Now he
knows.

My biased personal opinion follows:  I think 386/ix 2.0 is a really hot
system for the bucks.  Way fast, with X11r3 support for decent
monitors, networking, runs Xenix binaries, runs DOS applications
including Flight Simulator, etc.  It might still have nits, but we're
working on getting 'em out, and I think we have a broader base of
hardware and software options than any of our Sys V 386 competitors.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474

cc1@valhalla.cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) (03/11/89)

In article <3445@ima.ima.isc.com> trb@ima.UUCP (Andrew Tannenbaum) writes:

>My biased personal opinion follows:  I think 386/ix 2.0 is a really hot
>system for the bucks.  Way fast, with X11r3 support for decent
>monitors, networking, runs Xenix binaries, runs DOS applications
>including Flight Simulator, etc.  It might still have nits, but we're

What is 386/ix ?  Is it the new AIX from Locus or is it the other 386
UNIXl-like OS made by this other Santa Monica software developer whose
name I can't recall.

trb@haddock.ima.isc.com (Andrew Tannenbaum) (03/12/89)

Sorry to William Curtiss and you all for my snapping at him here - I
read his note in talk.rumors (which doesn't get all the 386 netnews),
and I hadn't been reading comp.unix.microport.  His grouping ISC in
with failing Microport seemed out of context in talk.rumors, whereas
both companies are commonly discussed in comp.unix.microport.  In that
sense, other folks might have been similarly confused in a similar
context.

In article <21589@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> cc1@cs.ucla.edu (Max Kislik) writes:
> What is 386/ix ?  Is it the new AIX from Locus or is it the other 386
> UNIXl-like OS made by this other Santa Monica software developer whose
> name I can't recall.

386/ix is the UNIXl-like OS made by the other Santa Monica software
developer whose name you can't recall.  It is derived from the 386
UNIX reference port, which the other company produced for AT&T - the
reference port that is at the base of all AT&T Sys Vr3 386 UNIX
systems.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (me) (03/12/89)

	Maybe interactive will provide an upgrade to those people who
are stuck with the microport software...  Seems they would gather a
large number of clients that way.

	BTW.  has anyone else noticed the apparent bug in the terminfo
entry for the console on V/386 under microport?  Seems there is both
an insert mode and an insert character entry.  The manpage indicates
that only one of the two should be used unless both are needed.  I noticed
the problem when I had output that should have been shifted to the right
on a given line, and it wasn't being shifted properly.  Deleting the
entry for the insert character in the terminal description fixed
the problem.

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (03/13/89)

In article <191@gritty.UUCP> mg@gritty.UUCP (mitch geier) writes:

>                        Microport Dead?    The Real Story
>
>             4    All of Uports staff was let go on Feb 24 th

That may well be the case, but I've spoken with sales and technical
people at uport in the past week.  I can't vouch for the size of the
present technical staff...

--
Norman Kohn   (...ddsw1!nvk!norman)
eves: 373-0564

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (me) (03/14/89)

	Was just on the phone with uport tech support.  Mentioned the current
flavor of rumors on here and that they should have someone sign on and
comment officially from the company.
	This person said that while they had undergone some recent reorganizations,
they were still going to be around for a while.  He also mentioned that
some of their competitors have been engaging in going out of business
rumors off and on for the past 2-3 years...

William A. Turnbow

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (03/20/89)

In article <93566@sun.uucp> williamt@sun.UUCP (me) writes:

>	Maybe interactive will provide an upgrade to those people who
>are stuck with the microport software...  Seems they would gather a
>large number of clients that way.

At one time SCO was offering a trade-in deal, turn in your Microport
Disks and get 50% off Xenix.  I got the whole SCO Xenix 386 package for
under $800.

That was last September, so I don't know about the current status of the
offer.

I won't tell you what I think of Interactive, but if you want a copy
cheap send mail.

Noel

--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com