[comp.unix.microport] YASQ: ksh in 2.4 has forgotten about history

" Maynard) (03/29/89)

After I installed 2.4, ksh forgot that it knows about history files -
but only on root's login. ^P (I use the emacs version) just rings the
bell, even if previous commands exist. /history exists and is writable,
but is empty. Everything works fine on my normal user login.

I've obviously forgotten something stupid; what is it?

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (William Ricker) (03/31/89)

In article <2560@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

>After I installed 2.4, ksh forgot that it knows about history files -
>but only on root's login. ^P (I use the emacs version) just rings the
>bell, even if previous commands exist. /history exists and is writable,
>but is empty. Everything works fine on my normal user login.
>
>I've obviously forgotten something stupid; what is it?

I don't know why this happens for root, but if you put the following in
your .profile for root it works fine.
HISTFILE=/.history
export HISTFILE

Apparently, for a root user it does not use the default, ~/.history.
Note: This must be in your .profile for this to work. I assume it trys to
open the file after it reads in the .profile, if it does not have a value,
and it seems for root, no default, it can open the file. This might prove
to be an interesting security issue for root users. Anybody have an idea on
this.

--
Bill Ricker                                wlr@vlsi2.ee.ufl.edu
141 Turkey Creek                          wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu

In article <19974@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (me) writes:
>and it seems for root, no default, it can open the file. This might prove
                                       ^^^^^
Ooops, I mean cannot open the file.