[comp.unix.microport] Microport's Improved Tape Driver

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (04/13/89)

In article <98683@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
> [Various items deleted] ... There was even
>a complete set of EGA graphics primatives, a high level libgraph.a
>interface library, a demo program set with mandelbrodts et al, for both
>the 286 and the 386, a new -from the ground up- tape driver that works
>with both the everex and the archive controllers...

It's academic at this point, of course, but the preliminary graphics library
is pretty decent, and the revised tape driver works without fault on my
Archive 60Mb drive. They probably were getting it together when the plug
was pulled...... Or else this is just a testimony to John's efforts at
putting out quality product.

*Sigh*.  After getting all the hardware weirdnesses straightened out,
now I have to go get a new version of somebody else's '386 V.3.whatever
and make *it* work.

Oh well. Life with UNIX goes on.
--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Eng. Group -{uunet | bigtex}!pmafire!dave-
"I'm looking for the same old place.  You must mean the old same place.

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (04/14/89)

In article <625@pmafire.UUCP> dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) writes:
>Archive 60Mb drive. They probably were getting it together when the plug
>was pulled...... Or else this is just a testimony to John's efforts at
>putting out quality product.

Whoa!  Not Me.  Last time I looked, I still had a small bit of humility!

Thanks for the tape driver go entirely to John Sully, the graphics stuff
to Ken Chapin and a host of hard working customers.  Dean Thomas and Sully
were the ones who wrote the SCSI driver; Thuan-Tit Ewe did all the
compiler fixes; Ali Shamirza was THE DosMerge person for everything.
Rex Core takes all the Kudo's for the 286 product, and Phil Rockwood
has all my admiration for digging thru the console driver and making
it work as well as it does!.  Jas Cluff, Ric Brown, Ken, Thuan, and Ali
kept all of us honest by being hardnosed about the QA, and Doug "Doc" Moran
taught us all the different meanings of "NO" :-)  (What part of NO don't
you understand?)  None of this could have been done without good engineering
management, and thanks to Dwight Liu and Tom McCalmont we did it.

Microport was a TEAM effort.  We all *wanted* it to succeed.  I don't think
that anyone was putting in less than 10 hour days for the most part, with
many doing more than that.  Of all the things that are no more, I miss
that feeling of "family" we had the most.

	-John Plocher