[comp.unix.microport] Sendmail 5.8 on System V

brooks@corpane.UUCP (David E. Brooks Jr) (04/06/89)

Has anyone gotten Sendmail 5.8 (with Daemon support) to work under Microport
Unix?  I realize that it would require BSD-style networking support, but
from a cursory glance at libtcp.a and the sources, it seems that all the
necessary functions are there.

We're running Microport Unix (386) version 3.0e1 with the networking utilities.

Thanks in advance,

--
David E. Brooks Jr                           UUCP :  ...!ddsw1!corpane!brooks
Corpane Industries Incorporated                      ...!ukma!corpane!brooks

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (04/15/89)

In article <539@corpane.UUCP>, brooks@corpane.UUCP (David E. Brooks Jr) writes:
> Has anyone gotten Sendmail 5.8 (with Daemon support) to work under Microport
> Unix?  I realize that it would require BSD-style networking support, but
> from a cursory glance at libtcp.a and the sources, it seems that all the
> necessary functions are there.

Yep, I got it running with the Micom/Interlan TCP package about 6
months ago.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of the changes I
had to make, but most of them were stright-forward; mostly just
changing include file names.

There are two major gotchas to watch out for that I recall:
sendmail has a function with the same name as one of the streams
library routines that is called by the socket library - you need
to change sendmail's function name, and there is a problem with
using fdopen to associate two streams with the same file
descriptor - you need to dup the fd to avoid confusing stdio.

I also kludged up a quick replacement for the Berkeley syslog
stuff that just writes to a file - you could probably do the
same or I could send it to you.

If I can be of any assistance, just email.

----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@sdrc.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150                  AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"When all else fails, read the directions."