[comp.unix.microport] Process HANGING in 386/Ue

dean@pgthor.UUCP (9352) (04/19/89)

I'm having the worst time with a Hayes 2400 external hooked to a Computone
16 port serial expansion unit hanging at certain times.  It seems to be
hanging only at certain undetermined times after someone logs off, or when
someone quits out of kermit.  The problem is that it not only hangs, but it
seems to be un-killable.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  I've tried killing it from
the login-id of who initiated the process, I've tried killing it from su on
a terminal, and from root on the console.  NOTHING works.  The only thing I
can do when this happens is powerdown the machine, and bring it back up.
The hung process makes the Hayes unusable until I power it down, and this is
an unacceptable manner of solving this problem.  Anyone ever had any
experience with these kinds of hung processes?  Please send e-mail if you
know of any possible solutions.
--
Love is a matter of chemistry,
but sex is a matter of physics. 		 Dean Heistad

clif@clif.UUCP (Clif Flynt) (04/20/89)

In article <588@pgthor.UUCP> dean@pgthor.UUCP (9352) writes:
>I'm having the worst time with a Hayes 2400 external hooked to a Computone
>16 port serial expansion unit hanging at certain times.  It seems to be
>hanging only at certain undetermined times after someone logs off, or when
>someone quits out of kermit.
>...uunet!mcrware!pgthor!dean                     (319) 356-9352

The usual reason, in my experience, for a system hanging on a process,
and refusing to kill it is that a device driver was expecting an interrupt
that it never got.

Since this happens with the expansion card, I'd guess for either a card
that doesn't always send the interrupt it's supposed to, or a bug in the
driver that dis-regards the interrupt occaissionally.

Are you running other I/O devices off the 16 port card?  Are they working?
At what speeds?

Try putting the modem off one of the standard serial ports, instead of
off the 16 port card, and see if that helps.

Good luck.
--
 -------------------------------- Clif Flynt --------------------------------
-------------------------- uunet!sharkey!clif!clif ---------------------------

pat@mslanpar (Pat R. Calhoun@Lanpar Technologies) (04/21/89)

In article <588@pgthor.UUCP>, dean@pgthor.UUCP (9352) writes:
> The hung process makes the Hayes unusable until I power it down, and this is
> an unacceptable manner of solving this problem.  Anyone ever had any
> experience with these kinds of hung processes?

By exec'ing ps(1) with the 'ael' args. You will more than likely find that
the process' priority is <26 (which means unkillable). This means that
the port driver still has a active device count of 1. Therefore, no
other process can have full access to the device.

If this only happens when someone logs off from Kermit, I suggest you
inspect the source code (assuming you have it :-), to make sure the
device is being closed properly. This is what seems to be the problem
from the symptoms you have defined.

I have used computones in the past before (not on microport), and I
suggest calling computone @ (404) 475-2725 to get information on the
most current driver release number. If you happen to use the
Intelliport line of products, I suggest you make sure the PROM on the
board indicates 3.00IP.

GOOD LUCK!

--
	_^_ |||			Pat "King of the Trenches" Calhoun
       <o o> |			Technical Support Group, Lanpar Technologies