[comp.unix.microport] The Microport BBS is up, and other fairy tales ...

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (04/27/89)

+---- In article <28104@cci632.UUCP> Tom Frauenhofer writes:
| A side note-is the Uport BBS still up and running?  I've been trying to access
| it for the past week or so.  The modems answer, but I don't get a prompt no
| matter what I try.
+----

I have been trying for the last week to get hold of someone there - 3
or 4 calls per day, every day! - and no one ever answered.  I was
concerned about a few things:
	o several uport mail feeds to wanted to drop their connections,
	o the BBS wasn't answering,
	o it was calling my home voice phone at night & hanging up, and
	o NO ONE was at uport to fix these problems!

So anyways, after getting no answer from Microport, I called up a contact
I had at Televideo (in the same building) and arranged to stop by.  Once
there I attempted to find someone "at home" over at uport, but it was all
dark and the TVI people said they thought Microport was moving out the end
of the week :-(  Oh well, I needed to stop the damn midnight calls
anyways, so (with an escort) I did so.  The BBS is up and the unwanted
Systems entries aren't.

As I was getting ready to leave, someone from Microport came to work, and
I identified myself and what I was doing...  and was promptly EVICTED from
the building with the words "we don't like what you are saying on Usenet
about Microport - get out!"

So much for trying to help :-(

This person at Microport said that people have been calling Microport and
mentioning that I had told them that product was still shipping.  They
wanted to order stuff like upgrades and device drivers.  It seems that
Microport can't deliver the stuff, and so now they are mad at me for
suggesting it to y'all....

Of all the dumb things I've heard in my life, this takes the cake!!!

Still flabergasted,
   -John Plocher

I AM NOT A SPOKESMAN FOR MICROPORT SYSTEMS!

dave@micropen (David F. Carlson) (04/27/89)

In article <101480@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
> As I was getting ready to leave, someone from Microport came to work, and
> I identified myself and what I was doing...  and was promptly EVICTED from
> the building with the words "we don't like what you are saying on Usenet
> about Microport - get out!"
>
> So much for trying to help :-(

Ouch!!!  Good thing that Microport appreciates people who are earnestly trying
to make the best out of a nasty situation.  What a great company to have
recently left!

> This person at Microport said that people have been calling Microport and
> mentioning that I had told them that product was still shipping.  They
> wanted to order stuff like upgrades and device drivers.  It seems that
> Microport can't deliver the stuff, and so now they are mad at me for
> suggesting it to y'all....
>
>    -John Plocher

Since my company is in deep with Microport in the field, I had our purchasing
people order everything we would need for several months the *day* John posted
about filing chapter 11.  We received our shipments in full (albeit with little
expectation of customer support! :-)  So thanks John for letting us know.  What
this small company would have done without that insurance of licenses in stock
until a new vendor can be qual'ed is ugly to contemplate.  We had our cache in
stock 10 days before the pulp rags even noted the filing!

My guess was that Microport would layoff shipping and production soon after
filing:  guess I was right.

To all those at Microport reading "their" net:  John has never written anything
in this forum that could be even broadly construed as slandering Microport.
If the truth is considered slander, that is solely the responsibility of
Microport Inc.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave@ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

asmith@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (Phil Smith) (04/27/89)

I'm not too surprised since uport is reported to have filed Chapter 11 !
Some associates ($$$) and I have discussed the prospects of buying Microport,
or their licenses. I too have been trying to get hold of someone out
in Scotts Valley, but I've come up dry. We are seriously interested. I
think Microport had a basically sound product, but poor marketing,
distribution, support, etc.. If you, or someone on the net have any
phone numbers or addresses, please give me a call at (415) 463-6838,
or reply thru the net.

rsvp
	Phil Smith

p.s. - that goes for you too, Microport !

vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) (04/28/89)

/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / asmith@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (Phil Smith) /  9:51 am  Apr 27, 1989 /
>I'm not too surprised since uport is reported to have filed Chapter 11 !
>Some associates ($$$) and I have discussed the prospects of buying Microport,
>or their licenses. I too have been trying to get hold of someone out
>in Scotts Valley, but I've come up dry.

	I put in a PO here and our purchasing later got a call from
Microport claiming that they were having "a money problem" (not exact
quote, but you get the idea) and wanted us to send them the money
up front.  So purchasing wanted to know if I thought this was OK.  As
soon as I got up off the floor (having fallen there laughing) I cancelled
the PO and opened a new one with Everex.  We'll see how this one goes.

				Andy