[comp.unix.microport] How can I boot dos from HD and still run Microport 3.0e?

james_jim_woomer@cup.portal.com (04/28/89)

I would like to boot DOS from my HD and also run Microport 3.0e
How can I:
1. Boot UNIX from HD and also boot DOS from HD also
   (Using fdisk to change the active partitions, perhaps?)
   OR
2. Boot DOS from HD and UNIX from floppy
I quess its understood that I'm running a 386 AT. Ive got 80 MEGs
with a full DOS partiton and the rest is Microport. My thanks in advance.

Jim Woomer

keithb@reed.UUCP (Keith Brown) (04/29/89)

I've been doing it (in spite of recommendations to the contrary in 3.0e manual)
since I installed the sytem in October.  Whenever you want to change systems,
use the resident fdisk to activate the 'other' OS.  Then reboot w/Ctl-Alt-Del.
or do a powerdown if you have DOS-Merge.

-Keith

--
Keith Brown
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!keithb

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (04/30/89)

DOesn't typing "DOS" from the boot: prompt work?

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

jhood@biar.UUCP (John Hood) (05/01/89)

In article <9282@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>DOesn't typing "DOS" from the boot: prompt work?

It did when I first installed Microport 3.0e, and then later on it
stopped working.  I thought I was going batty when I tried it and it
didn't work.  I finally snorkeled around the install disks, and found
that there's actually *two* different hard disk bootstraps-- the one
that gets written onto the HD boot track when you install, and the
other one that is part of the runtime cpio set.  The first has the DOS
boot feature, the second doesn't.  Somewhere along the line, I or one
of the Microport utilities must have reinstalled the bootstrap from
the one in /etc.  Sigh.  I haven't actually tried it yet, but the cure
appears to be simple: install the bootstrap from the filesystem boot
floppy you got with your copy of Microport.

Actually, I have Bell Tech Unix 3.0 installed on my hard drives just
now (I'm playing with their Blit card), and my respect for Microport
has gone up a bit: the Bell Tech install was just as bad as, if not
worse than, the Microport install (it took four tries to format the
hard disk...)  Also, Microport has better serial drivers (heretical,
isn't it?), support for 1.4M floppies, multiscreens, my tape drive,
etc etc.  Losing the use of my Everex tape drive because of Bell
Tech's inane, stupid, idiotic incompatibility PAL on their Everex tape
is a particularly tough pill to swallow, especially because if I
somehow get the Bell Tech PAL and install it, I apparently lose the
use of the Everex MS-DOS software, because of their own copy
protection hack.

  --jh--
John Hood, Biar Games snail: 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850 BBS: 607 257 3423
domain: jhood@biar.uucp (we hope) bang: anywhere!uunet!biar!jhood
[food for disclaimer readers]
[special dessert tidbit for broken mailers]

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (05/01/89)

In article <9282@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>DOesn't typing "DOS" from the boot: prompt work?
>  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
------

	It could if a boot image was provided on the unix disk that would
load and boot dos, but that is not part of the standard release.

	At that boot prompt, it is asking for the name of a unix file to
load as the kernel.  You can then load your custom, non-default versions
if you so choose, but unless you have a file named 'dos' in your
root directory that will boot real dos, it won't work.

-wat-

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (05/02/89)

In article <9282@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>DOesn't typing "DOS" from the boot: prompt work?

   For the most part, yes.  TSRs may not work right, the floppy access
light may stay on all the time, and other "glitches" may show   up because
by the time the boot:  prompt shows up, the kernal has done *some*
hardware initialization and changed *some* low memory locations.

   One of the reasons Microport suggested staying away from fdisk was the
number of problems we had in Support with dumb users deleting their Unix
partition and then calling us up and making us clean up after them...
:-)

    -John Plocher

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (05/02/89)

>>Doesn't typing "DOS" from the boot: prompt work?
>
>	It could if a boot image was provided on the unix disk that would
>load and boot dos, but that is not part of the standard release.
>
>if you so choose, but unless you have a file named 'dos' in your
>root directory that will boot real dos, it won't work.

I don't have a /dos and it worked for me the last time I tried it.

--

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (05/02/89)

In article <102255@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>   One of the reasons Microport suggested staying away from fdisk was the
>number of problems we had in Support with dumb users deleting their Unix
>partition and then calling us up and making us clean up after them...
>:-)

This hits one of my sore spots.  The fact that bozos buy software and
demand that the vendor read the manual to them drives the vendor to
employ bozos as "tech support engineers" to read the manuals to
the customers.  Now when the system is broken and I need to talk to
someone about it the only people I can get through to in finite time
are the bozos.  There really should be a way for people who know
what they are doing to get past the sentries -- it would benefit
both the vendor and their customers.

[The few encounters I personally have had with Sun tech support have
 been pleasant and productive.  Agonizingly slow, but otherwise OK.
 Too bad I can't spec Suns for all of my customers.]
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289