[comp.unix.microport] ps *insists* on accessing floppy on Microport SysV/AT 2.4

stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) (05/01/89)

About a month ago I wrote describing how I'd managed to save the root file
system by using "installit" and substituting "list" (a new installation) for
list.ug (upgrade path).  It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on
always accessing the floppy drive.

I got a number of thoughtful responses (thanks!) with with the most
practical being:

--
I tried "ps -s /dev/null" and it does NOT try and read the floppy.  I don't
"know why" though.  I gather I'm running the kernel still somehow rooted on

brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/swap
brw-r--r--   5 root     sys        1, 70 Mar 28 17:21 /dev/dsk/fd
brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/dsk/0s25
----------
Steve Rudek  {ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac OR ames!pacbell!sactoh0} !tree!stever

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (05/02/89)

In article <291@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on always accessing the floppy drive.
>I tried "ps -s /dev/null" and it does NOT try and read the floppy.  I don't
>"know why" though.  I gather I'm running the kernel still somehow rooted on
>the floppy (even though it isn't).  Based on the following "ls -la"s is it

There are 3 kernel variables that come into play here: (These may not be the real names)

	1) rootdev		# where / lives
	2) swapdev		# where *slow* process are found :-)
	3) pipedev		# where temp space for pipes is found

It looks like you have the following:
	rootdev = pipedev = harddisk
	swapdev = floppydisk

>safe to say tht the two devices are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is

Yes, /dev/swap is on the hard disk.  But this doesn't mean that swapdev = /dev/swap!

>linked instead to /dev/dsk/0s25...yes?)  Is it "safe" to just
>"ln /dev/swap /dev/dsk/fd" ??

No you don't want to link it back to the floppy.
----
I don't have a 2.4 286 system anymore so I can't tell you specifics, but you should
be able to find something like this (rootdev, swapdev, and pipedev) somewhere in
/usr/linkkit (or in a script in /etc - like hdrtpatch).  When you do, use /etc/patch
to look at whatever swapdev is called, and if it isn't the same as rootdev, change
it so that it is.

BEFORE you do this, PLEASE back up your stuff on floppies (you can forget /bin, /usr/bin
and the like, just get /usr/{people}, /etc/passwd..., and all the stuff you loaded.

Murphy has given you one warning already, please don't ignore it
	(it's more than most of us get :-)

     -John Plocher

rsj@wa4mei.UUCP (Randy Jarrett WA4MEI) (05/02/89)

In article <291@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
++>safe to say tht the two devices are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is
++>linked instead to /dev/dsk/0s25...yes?)  Is it "safe" to just
++>"ln /dev/swap /dev/dsk/fd" ??  I like to have a little bit of assurance
++>that I'm not going to regret my actions before I do unfamiliar things as
++>root; I *don't* have a tape backup unit (speaking of which, can anyone
++>recommend an adequate unit which they *know* works under 2.4?).
++>
++>brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/swap
++>brw-r--r--   5 root     sys        1, 70 Mar 28 17:21 /dev/dsk/fd
++>brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/dsk/0s25
++>----------
++>Steve Rudek  {ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac OR ames!pacbell!sactoh0} !tree!stever

If you look in your manual section for special files (s7) at fl7 you
will see that 0s25 is your floppy drive with a 1 cylinder offset
that is used for boot and installit floppies. According to my
system your swap device should be 0,1 with  brw-rw-rw- permissions.

About the tape drive, There are several of us in the Atlanta area
that are running 2.4 and using the Archive tape drives and controllers.
You have to be carefull in the linkkit as there is a mistake in the
master file that has the ar driver calling the ev module. The line with
ar should have ar under the prefix column.

--
Randy Jarrett  WA4MEI
UUCP  ...!gatech!wa4mei!rsj        | US SNAIL: P.O. Box 941217

pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) (05/03/89)

In article <291@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:

    About a month ago I wrote describing how I'd managed to save the root
    file system by using "installit" and substituting "list" (a new
    installation) for list.ug (upgrade path).  It worked except that "ps"
    thereafter insisted on always accessing the floppy drive.

    I got a number of thoughtful responses (thanks!) with with the most
    practical being:

    >From: pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi)
	[ ..... ]
    I tried "ps -s /dev/null" and it does NOT try and read the floppy.  I don't
    "know why" though.  I gather I'm running the kernel still somehow rooted on
    the floppy (even though it isn't).

Well, the kernel is probably rooted on the hard disc. Who knows where your
swap partitions is... Have you run hdrt.ptch? You probably want your swap
partition to be /dev/dsk/0s1, so do "patch /system5 swapdev 1", if not
already done. Or, better still, and very recommended, take the link kit and
regenerate the kernel from scratch. NOTE: you had better check with divvy
that indeed /dev/ds/0s1 is set up as a swap partition.

    Based on the following "ls -la"s is it safe to say tht the two devices
    are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is linked instead to
    /dev/dsk/0s25...yes?)

    brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/swap
    brw-r--r--   5 root     sys        1, 70 Mar 28 17:21 /dev/dsk/fd
    brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/dsk/0s25

The two devices are not linked, but 1,198 is the same as 0s25, which is the
same as fd, except that the first track is skipped. In other words,
/dev/swap still denotes the floppy.  ps(1) reads /dev/swap to get the status
of non core resident processes, and if this is a floppy device, you get into
trouble.

    Is it "safe" to just "ln /dev/swap /dev/dsk/fd" ??  I like to have a
    little bit of assurance that I'm not going to regret my actions before I
    do unfamiliar things as root;

Don't! do instead "ln /dev/dsk/0s1 /dev/swap", to make swap a synonym of 0s1,
the hard disk swap partition, (not fd a synonym of swap, which is the same
device as fd). You phrase "unfamiliar things with root" make me wish that
you read some papers on Unix internals; the two papers on Unix internals in
the V7/BSD docs by Thompson and Ritchie are still the best and mostly
current (well, until 5.2 -- 5.3 has completely different memory mgt.).

   I *don't* have a tape backup unit (speaking of which, can anyone
    recommend an adequate unit which they *know* works under 2.4?).

Any good QIC-02/QIC-36 controller based unit. Wangtek, Everex and Archive
(probably the cheapest).  You really want the 60MB 1/4" QIC-24 version, not
any other (I don't like the higher capacity ones, 125/150MB).
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (05/03/89)

--
Michael Borza                       work: <antel!mike@maccs.McMaster.CA>
Antel Optronics Inc.                home: <boopsy!mike@maccs.McMaster.CA>

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (05/03/89)

Ahhh... for whatever reason (you pick one), the last informative posting
should have included more than my signature.  Let's try again...

In article <102277@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>In article <291@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>>It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on always accessing the floppy drive.
... and other good stuff

>It looks like you have the following:
>	rootdev = pipedev = harddisk
>	swapdev = floppydisk

>>safe to say tht the two devices are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is
>Yes, /dev/swap is on the hard disk.  But this doesn't mean that swapdev = /dev/swap!

I DON'T want to add to the confusion here, BUT, did things change that much
between SV/AT 2.3 and 2.4??  The directory in Steve's original posting is:

   brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/swap
   brw-r--r--   5 root     sys        1, 70 Mar 28 17:21 /dev/dsk/fd
   brw-r--r--   1 root     sys        1,198 Mar 23  1986 /dev/dsk/0s25

On my SV/AT 2.3 system, /dev/dsk/0s25 is at major 6, minor 198, while
all partitions on the hard disk are at major device 4.  It certainly
looks to me like /dev/swap is on the floppy disk in Steve's system,
just as Piercarlo suspected.  /dev/swap lives at 4,1 on my system.

>>linked instead to /dev/dsk/0s25...yes?)  Is it "safe" to just
>>"ln /dev/swap /dev/dsk/fd" ??
>No you don't want to link it back to the floppy.

True enough, but it just looks to me like it's a duplicate entry instead
of a link.  Have I missed something obvious and just made an ass of myself?
Were the floppy and hard disk drivers coalesced in 2.4?  I don't see any
reason why they should be (or even why anyone would want to), but I'd be
interested to hear about it if they were.

John?

mike borza.

(cruft
for
inews
)
--

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (05/03/89)

In article <102277@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.UUCP (ME) writes:
>In article <291@tree.UUCP> stever@tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>>It worked except that "ps" thereafter insisted on always accessing the floppy drive.
>>safe to say tht the two devices are NOT linked?  (It appears that swap is
>
>Yes, /dev/swap is on the hard disk.  But this doesn't mean that swapdev = /dev/swap!

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH
I got home and looked in the manual - /dev/swap *WAS* linked to the floppy
Change this to 0, 1 (from 1, 198)

   # rm /dev/swap
   # mknod /dev/swap b 0 1
   # chmod 644 /dev/swap
   # chown root /dev/swap
   # chgrp sys  /dev/swap

>----
>I don't have a 2.4 286 system anymore so I can't tell you specifics, but you should
>be able to find something like this (rootdev, swapdev, and pipedev) somewhere in

Ignore that rambling ...  The solution above should do the trick.  It is the 386
system which is complicated....

   -John Plocher