[comp.unix.microport] microport mail

henk@bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) (05/12/89)

Hi microport users,

I am trying to implement a mailserver. Therefore I will have to try to
feed every received mail item to a shell script. The problem is I don't
know how to do that (automatically), the DEC mailserver uses BSD-style mail
and can have in the /usr/lib/aliases file a pipe to the mail scanning program.
With microport however there is a (ATT-style?) mail wich doesn't work
like that. (Mail forwarding is done differently)
Is there still someting possible to pass every mail item to a program?
Or do I have to implement a more "universal" mailer?
Comming to that has someone already implemented an internet style mailer
under microport Sys V/386... (I would love to be able to use internet addresses
i.o. bang notation.

Thanks for any help,
Henk.

--
Henk Dijkstra	: BETRONIC B.V.			USENET : henk@bebux.UUCP
		: PO-box 4317			 ..{mcvax}!hp4nl!bebux!henk

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (05/12/89)

In article <1542@bebux.UUCP> henk@bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
>I am trying to implement a mailserver. Therefore I will have to try to
>feed every received mail item to a shell script. The problem is I don't
>know how to do that (automatically), the DEC mailserver uses BSD-style mail
>and can have in the /usr/lib/aliases file a pipe to the mail scanning program.

>I would love to be able to use internet addresses w.o. bang notation.

Simple sollution that does all of this:

Get the following programs and install them as instructed:
	smail    - smart mailer (handles internet addresses et al)
		   gives you /usr/lib/aliases, a smart mailer ...
	elm	 - electronic mail user interface - replaces mailx completely
	lmail	 - John Zeef's replacement for the local mail delivery
		   program - gives you mail to programs and other goodies

This combo works on V/286 and V/386 - I love it!
If you can't get lmail, let me know and I will see what I can do.

  -John Plocher

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (05/12/89)

In article <1542@bebux.UUCP> henk@bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
>Hi microport users,
>
>I am trying to implement a mailserver. Therefore I will have to try to
>feed every received mail item to a shell script. The problem is I don't
>know how to do that (automatically), the DEC mailserver uses BSD-style mail
>and can have in the /usr/lib/aliases file a pipe to the mail scanning program.

One solution is my lmail program + smail.  Let me know if you want a copy.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

lcc@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73701000) (05/13/89)

In article <9338@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
->In article <1542@bebux.UUCP> henk@bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
->>Hi microport users,
->>
->>I am trying to implement a mailserver. Therefore I will have to try to
->>feed every received mail item to a shell script. The problem is I don't
->>know how to do that (automatically), the DEC mailserver uses BSD-style mail
->>and can have in the /usr/lib/aliases file a pipe to the mail scanning program.
->
->One solution is my lmail program + smail.  Let me know if you want a copy.
->
->
->--
I would love to get a copy. Please mail me at ...sun!acad!metaware!ken

Thanks,
Ken Chapin

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (05/18/89)

In article <1542@bebux.UUCP> henk@bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
: I am trying to implement a mailserver. Therefore I will have to try to
: feed every received mail item to a shell script. The problem is I don't
: know how to do that (automatically), the DEC mailserver uses BSD-style mail
: and can have in the /usr/lib/aliases file a pipe to the mail scanning program.
: With microport however there is a (ATT-style?) mail wich doesn't work
: like that. (Mail forwarding is done differently)
: Is there still someting possible to pass every mail item to a program?

I do it in a very scuzzy way: I have a cron job that prints the mail
using the mail program; that is then processed by whatever I want.

If you want to see the code, send the following message:

	path <path from me to you or user@domain>
	send help
	send db.serv.shar

to twwells!comp-archives-server. That will give you my help message
and the scripts I use for the server. Note that you do not write "<>"
around the path. I talk directly to uunet, so you should have no
problem getting to me.

: Or do I have to implement a more "universal" mailer?
: Comming to that has someone already implemented an internet style mailer
: under microport Sys V/386... (I would love to be able to use internet addresses
: i.o. bang notation.

Get smail. And if you are doing more than uucp mail, sendmail.  I run
smail on my system and it runs fine.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill