[comp.unix.microport] Panic Button

dpgerdes@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (05/19/89)

   Is it common knowledge that pressing the 'Pause' key on a Compaq or Dell
386 running Uport 386 will cause a system panic?  One of our user's who
is new to Unix found this one day.  He said he was starting to get his
confidence up with using Unix so he decided to try out a few things.  Next
thing he knows the computer is yelling at him and panicing and trying to
write 938 pages.  He assumed his printer was broken.
    Well I tried it and wouldn't you know, Panic city.  Not a pretty sight.

lcc@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73701000) (05/23/89)

In article <42700013@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> dpgerdes@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
->   Is it common knowledge that pressing the 'Pause' key on a Compaq or Dell
->386 running Uport 386 will cause a system panic?  One of our user's who
->is new to Unix found this one day.  He said he was starting to get his
->confidence up with using Unix so he decided to try out a few things.  Next
->thing he knows the computer is yelling at him and panicing and trying to
->write 938 pages.  He assumed his printer was broken.

The console driver in the 3.0 version of 386 MicroPort doesn't know about the
scan code value that the pause key generates. (A minor oversight) That was one
of the things that was corrected in the 3.0e1 version.

Ken Chapin.

dpgerdes@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (05/26/89)

>The console driver in the 3.0 version of 386 MicroPort doesn't know about the
>scan code value that the pause key generates. (A minor oversight) That was one
>of the things that was corrected in the 3.0e1 version.

  Guess I should have mentioned that I was talking about 3.0e.1

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (05/29/89)

In article <42700016@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu>, dpgerdes@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
]
]
]>The console driver in the 3.0 version of 386 MicroPort doesn't know about the
]>scan code value that the pause key generates. (A minor oversight) That was one
]>of the things that was corrected in the 3.0e1 version.
]
]   Guess I should have mentioned that I was talking about 3.0e.1

I didn't know there was a version 3.0e.1.  Why did I pay for an update
subscription!?!  What else is different?
--
Bill Michaelson - Reply to: princeton!mccc!cosi!bill
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

itwaf@dcatla.UUCP (Bill Fulton [Sys Admin]) (05/30/89)

In article <464@cosi.UUCP> bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:
>I didn't know there was a version 3.0e.1.  Why did I pay for an update

I am also the proud owner of a 'maintenance contract' for the SysV/AT
runtime and s/ware development releases. (Well, gee, at least I think I am.
They took my money, but never sent me any paperwork. However, the 2.4
upgrade did, to my wonderous eyes, appear). Is the '3.0' release
specific to the 386? If not, could someone please give a brief description
of the 3.x level release, including the approximate release date?

If there is a SysV/AT 3.x level product, I've been considering making an
offer to pay for shipping and "handling" (even though I payed for "at least
2 upgrades" with the contract) in order to get the latest release.

Thanks,
Bill Fulton
dcatla!itwaf@gatech.edu