[comp.unix.microport] > 2 drives in uPort?

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (06/04/89)

I'm simply running out of room right now and would like to add some more
drives.  The disk controller that i have right now (a
wd1006<something-or-other>) can only handle 2 drives (2hd+2fd).  I suppose i
*could* get a different board (like scsi or something?) that handles more than
2 drives, but i'm not sure whether or not uPort will handle it from its end.
What are the types of drive interfaces that the 386 3.0e product will handle
(just st506?) and how many drives?  (just 2?)

If it turns out to be just 2 hard drives, i suppose i will then have to go for
two big drives instead of 4 medium drives (that i already have).

Any help will be appreciated,

derek
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain

randy@rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) (06/09/89)

In article <965@hawkmoon.MN.ORG>, det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
> What are the types of drive interfaces that the 386 3.0e product will handle
> (just st506?) and how many drives?  (just 2?)

No.  I am running a 180MB ESDI maxtor disk on a WD1007A-WA2.  The full disk
is usable because the controller computes the offsets.  It is only a 10Mb/sec
controller.  There is a new WD ESDI controller (WD1008-V??) that is 15Mb/sec
and will support the faster 15Mb/sec ESDI drives.

> If it turns out to be just 2 hard drives, i suppose i will then have to go for
> two big drives instead of 4 medium drives (that i already have).

I don't know why you *need* X number of drives or spindles, but with big ESDI
the drive partitions can be arranged to your liking.  I have /usr and /usr2.
When you upgrade to the 300MB or 600MB or 1.2GB ESDI disks, number of disks
becomes a moot point unless there are application specific issues.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy@rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu