[comp.unix.microport] Driver Questions

rock@rancho.UUCP (Rock Kent) (06/30/89)

I'm running Microport's Sys V/386 ver 3.0e with DOSMERGE.

I've been playing around with the stuff that came in the Microport BBS
disks as well as some of the things John Plocher posted not too long
ago and have a couple questions.

In trying to get the gfx demo stuff to work, I noticed that the gfx
module was commented out in system.std with an *.  When I tried to
rebuild the kernel with gfx, I got the following:

>  running config...
>  compiling conf.c...
>  compiling space.c and stubs.c modules...
>  linking the kernel...
>  undefined			first referenced
>   symbol  			    in file
>  kd_sleep                            modules/gfx/gfx.o
>  kd_outb21                           modules/gfx/gfx.o
>  kd_opendev                          modules/gfx/gfx.o
>  kd_deledev                          modules/gfx/gfx.o
>  kd_wakeup                           modules/gfx/gfx.o
>  ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to /etc/atconf/kernels/unix.std.18

Remembering that the BBS files included a file called 386-fix/config
purported to "fix for 50 module limit", I counted the number of
modules and, sure enough, had 51.  I copied 386-fix/config in as
/etc/config and tried mkunix.  Got the same result.

Thinking that maybe the fixed config wasn't really fixed, I commented
out the weitek module.  Got the same result.

Any ideas?  Anyone got a config which is not limited in the number of
modules it can handle?

In a different vein, I have a logitech bus mouse and have been trying
to get the mouse driver John posted a while ago working.  I remember
deleting a /dev/mouse some time ago.  What are the proper major and
minor device types for the /dev/mouse?  Has anyone got it working?
Does it depend on gfx?

Again in a different area, I read with quite a bit of interest, Mike
Barnes' article <292@kc5n.UUCP> of 4 Jun 89 in which he describes his
mods to use IRQ 9 through IRQ 15 for serial port control under Jim
Murray's asy.o.  Mike's implementation was, however, on a V/AT 2.3
system and involved patching the table 'slavtbl', whatever that is.
Is there something analogous for V/386?  If so, where is it and what's
it called?

Thanks for any light you shed on these.

*Rock Kent    rock@rancho.uucp        POB 8964, Rancho Sante Fe, CA. 92067*

lcc@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73701000) (07/02/89)

In article <219@rancho.UUCP> rock@rancho.UUCP (Rock Kent) writes:
>I'm running Microport's Sys V/386 ver 3.0e with DOSMERGE.
>
>In trying to get the gfx demo stuff to work, I noticed that the gfx
>module was commented out in system.std with an *.  When I tried to
>rebuild the kernel with gfx, I got the following:
>>  ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to /etc/atconf/kernels/unix.std.18

The version of Merge that you have has got an old version of the console
driver in it that won't work with the gfx driver. You may be able to give
Peter a call at uport and get Merge 1.1.3. Mention that that you want to to
graphics with gfx and require the newer Merge.

Ken Chapin