[comp.unix.microport] Going to SysV/AT 2.4

simpson@Xylogics.COM (Reid Simpson) (06/29/89)

After a two-year hiatus from using Sys V/AT, I finally bought another 286
machine and installed 2.3.  I was under a support contract so I am
entitled to 2.4.  I'd like to know if anyone has successfully received
an upgrade from microport in the last month or two.

The last version I ran was 2.2 so a few things changed.  I was
incorporating the new manual pages and noticed that dialinfo(4) was
mentioned but I don't have it.  Think there is any hope of getting
documentation from M?

Is the software development system still at rev 1.3? Or am I hopelessly
out of date there, too.

One last thing, could someone send me info on how to get the software
that was on the BBS.  I noticed several articles but forgot to save them.
Thanks,
Reid.
simpson@Xylogics.COM

lindsay@dscatl.UUCP (Lindsay Cleveland) (07/02/89)

In article <4325@xenna.Xylogics.COM> simpson@Xylogics.COM (Reid Simpson) writes:
>After a two-year hiatus from using Sys V/AT, I finally bought another 286
>machine and installed 2.3.  I was under a support contract so I am
>entitled to 2.4.  I'd like to know if anyone has successfully received
>an upgrade from microport in the last month or two.

  In the midst of the recent Microport-bashing, I have a bit of a
success story...

  On April 6, 1989, I called Microport at 408-441-0140.  Talked to
a helpful fellow named Brian Tihista.  I do/did not have a
maintenance contract with Microport, so I ordered the AT/286 upgrade from
2.3 to 2.4 at $70 for the Runtime Unix upgrade, $60 for the
DOS/Merge upgrade, and $100 for the Development System upgrade.  While
I was at it, I also ordered an additional Run-time manual and an
additional Development manual, $60 each.  Gave him a credit card
number to bill against.

  On April 20, I called to check on the order.  Brian said it was
delayed because they were still waiting for the binders to come in
for the manuals, and they didn't want to ship a partial order.  They
expected to ship the order on April 21.

  On May 1, I called again.  Brian said the development system
documenation was due May 3 and they would ship my order then.

  May 5, 286/AT 2.4 arrived.  Run-time and DOS/Merge upgrade
diskettes only.  No development system upgrade and no manuals.

 (Press of other committments kept me from even opening the
package until May 10)

  Discovered I had been sent the "limited" version of 2.4 and I had
an "unlimited" system.  On May 11, I called Brian.  He said he would
take care of the problem right away.  The "unlimited" version
diskettes showed up the very next day...UPS overnight at
Microport's expense!

  Installed 2.4...have encountered no problems...system runs just
fine and faster.  Have not had time to really "wring it out", but
everything I have tried works just fine.

  Still waiting for Development System upgrade and additional
manuals.

>The last version I ran was 2.2 so a few things changed.  I was
>incorporating the new manual pages and noticed that dialinfo(4) was
>mentioned but I don't have it.  Think there is any hope of getting
>documentation from M?

  I'm still waiting for the manuals I ordered in April.

So there you have it.  Some good results, some "still to bee seen"
results, and as yet nothing not working as advertised.

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland         Digital Systems Co.   Atlanta, Ga
  gatech!dscatl!lindsay     (404) 497-1902
                         (U.S. Mail:  PO Box 1149, Duluth, GA  30136)