[comp.unix.microport] Installing Perl 2.18 yacc complains abort space

peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) (07/02/89)

Hi there,

I've just gotten Perl 2.0 Patchlevel 18.

While installing it on my Microport Unix V/386 the first make aborts
with the following message:

	Expect 23 shift/reduce errors...
                yacc -d perl.y

	conflicts: 23 shift/reduce

	 fatal error: out of space, line 703

	conflicts: 23 shift/reduce
	*** Error code 1

[Line 703 is the last line in perl.y]

I don't know what it's all about, so can You help me?

Thanks a lot
--
Peter Radig        Voice: +49 69 746972
                   USENET: peter@radig.UUCP

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (07/03/89)

In article <783@radig.UUCP> peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) writes:
>I've just gotten Perl 2.0 Patchlevel 18.
>
>While installing it on my Microport Unix V/386 the first make aborts
>with the following message:

>	 fatal error: out of space, line 703

Microport's yacc was compiled with tiny table sizes, sizes appropriate
for a 64K machine.  Complain to Microsoft, and in the meantime, have a
friend or UUCP neighbor run the file through yacc on their machine and send
you the C output; you can proceed from there.  All Microsoft needs to do
to fix the problem is to change the values of certain constants and send
you a new binary; if they get enough complaints, maybe they will do this
in their next release if they haven't already.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

rock@rancho.UUCP (Rock Kent) (07/05/89)

In article <783@radig.UUCP> peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) writes:
>   While installing [perl] on my Microport Unix V/386 the first make aborts
>   with the following message:
>
>	   Expect 23 shift/reduce errors...
>		   yacc -d perl.y
>
>	   conflicts: 23 shift/reduce
>
>	    fatal error: out of space, line 703
>
>	   conflicts: 23 shift/reduce
>	   *** Error code 1
>
>   [Line 703 is the last line in perl.y]
>
>   I don't know what it's all about, so can You help me?

In article <3350@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck)
correctly responds:
>   Microport's yacc was compiled with tiny table sizes, sizes appropriate
>   for a 64K machine.  Complain to Microsoft, and in the meantime, have a
>   friend or UUCP neighbor run the file through yacc on their machine and send
>   you the C output; you can proceed from there.  All Microsoft needs to do

I just finished making and installing perl, patchlevel 27, on my
Microport V/386 ver 3.0e system, including the:
   	yacc perl.y
	mv y.tab.c perl.c

I used the replacement yacc which Microport furnished as one of the
files in the BBS disks I recently bought.  According to the
documentation provided with the disks, the replacement yacc was
compiled with -DHUGE.  It had no trouble with the perl compile.

*Rock Kent    rock@rancho.uucp        POB 8964, Rancho Sante Fe, CA. 92067*