[comp.unix.microport] Relational Databases for Microport Unix V/386 3.0e

peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) (06/21/89)

Hi,

I'm searching for a relational database which runs under uports
Unix V/386 3.0. (Not necessarily a PD program but also any commercial
product)
If you know about one, please write name, features, availability, prize,
etc.

If I get enough response, I'll post a summary.

Is there an ORACLE or INFORMIX version for this OS?

Thanks in advance...
--
Peter Radig        Voice: +49 69 746972
                   USENET: peter@radig.UUCP

neighorn@nosun.UUCP ( SE Sun/PDX) (06/29/89)

In article <763@radig.UUCP> peter@radig.UUCP (Peter Radig) writes:

>I'm searching for a relational database which runs under uports
>Unix V/386 3.0. (Not necessarily a PD program but also any commercial
>product)
>If you know about one, please write name, features, availability, prize,
>etc.

my mail bounced the first time, so here's a followup:

I did a project on uport Unix using Unify's Unify/Accell package. The DB
and application system lists (at the time, about 18 months ago) for
$4500. This was a project for a medical school, so they received a 50%
discount.

At that time (and this has certainly changed) Unify was the only
database that worked on V/386. No Informix, No Oracle, No Ingres,
and only run-time DataFlex (you could develop on the 286, but that
was unacceptable).

I was put in the unenviable position of using the first V/386 port of Accell,
and it showed. I dealt with numerous unexplainable, untraceable, fixed-by-
phase-of-moon core dumps, statements that simply did not work, printer
support problems, and numerous other gotchas. The school did not have
the funds at that time for the $1500 (no discount) support/upgrade
offer, so they are still running the first release on the 80386 (also
called Accell 4.0)

In the end, and with the help of some very nice local support people, I
got the project done. Accell has a pretty nice curses-based applications
development and run-time environment, complete with a paint program,
windows, auto-menus, and so on.

I would recommend Unify/Accell for Microport *IF AND ONLY IF* they got
lots of those nasty bugs fixed. If you are going to generate your
application in C and use their applications library, you will get
around many of the problems in the applications generator itself. Their
C-attachments are plentiful and in my experience seem to work pretty
well. I lost count of how many times the apps generator simply locked
up, and I had to go to a virtual console and kill several processes.

Unify's (at least the group in Lake Oswego, Oregon) people were as
helpful as they can be (especially Mike Barton). The manuals contain
plenty of information (although it is all over the place). Their
demo application is not trivial, but the more your application is
like theirs the more you will learn from it (kinda like math books,
if you know what I mean :-)).

Good luck in your quest...

--
Steven C. Neighorn           !tektronix!{psu-cs,nosun,ogccse}!qiclab!neighorn
Sun Microsystems, Inc.      "Where we DESIGN the Star Fighters that defend the

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (07/05/89)

As quoted from <313@nosun.UUCP> by neighorn@nosun.UUCP ( SE Sun/PDX):
+---------------
| I did a project on uport Unix using Unify's Unify/Accell package. The DB
|
| I was put in the unenviable position of using the first V/386 port of Accell,
| and it showed. I dealt with numerous unexplainable, untraceable, fixed-by-
| phase-of-moon core dumps, statements that simply did not work, printer
| support problems, and numerous other gotchas. The school did not have
| the funds at that time for the $1500 (no discount) support/upgrade
| offer, so they are still running the first release on the 80386 (also
| called Accell 4.0)
+---------------

No, it wasn't; it was Accell 1.3 running over Unify 4.0.  (Accell is a user
interface; Unify is the DBMS which Accell 1.x interfaces to.)

Accell 1.3 had lots of bizarre problems on our 386 system.  However, at
least some of them are the result of the 386 OS ([non-SCO] Xenix 5.2/386)
in question having a broken C compiler and broken malloc.  We just -finally-
got Accell 1.4; it's a MAJOR improvement.

+---------------
| got the project done. Accell has a pretty nice curses-based applications
+---------------

Ah, no.  Curses would optimize out some of the extra window redraws that get
rather painful when I try to access our application over a 2400-baud modem.
(Hint, hint, Unify!)

+---------------
| around many of the problems in the applications generator itself. Their
| C-attachments are plentiful and in my experience seem to work pretty
| well. I lost count of how many times the apps generator simply locked
| up, and I had to go to a virtual console and kill several processes.
+---------------

Fixed in 1.4, at least on Altos System V and Interactive 386/ix.  (The SCO
version got errors accessing shared memory on our system; we haven't yet
been able to upgrade to a version that supports a true 386 ABI, for various
reasons.)  Also look for Unify 2000 and Accell/SQL soon (but don't buy
it yet; *any* product is unusable in Version 1.0!).

++Brandon (a consultant who happens to think Accell is the greatest thing
since sliced bread)
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

neighorn@nosun.UUCP ( SE Sun/PDX) (07/07/89)

In article <13794@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:

:No, it wasn't; it was Accell 1.3 running over Unify 4.0.  (Accell is a user
:interface; Unify is the DBMS which Accell 1.x interfaces to.)

Drat. I mixed up the version numbers again. Thanks for pointing out the
error - it might make a difference to someone trying to order the
product!

:Accell 1.3 had lots of bizarre problems on our 386 system.  However, at
:least some of them are the result of the 386 OS ([non-SCO] Xenix 5.2/386)
:in question having a broken C compiler and broken malloc.  We just -finally-
:got Accell 1.4; it's a MAJOR improvement.

That's good to hear. And it only took well over a year to get these
fixes.

:Fixed in 1.4, at least on Altos System V and Interactive 386/ix.  (The SCO
:version got errors accessing shared memory on our system; we haven't yet
:been able to upgrade to a version that supports a true 386 ABI, for various
:reasons.)  Also look for Unify 2000 and Accell/SQL soon (but don't buy
:it yet; *any* product is unusable in Version 1.0!).

Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along to the
probably-still-poor medical school. :-)

:++Brandon (a consultant who happens to think Accell is the greatest thing
:since sliced bread)

As long as the bread is the latest version. Moldy bread tastes terrible
and does bad things to one's digestive tract.