[comp.unix.microport] migration to UNIX, part II

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/01/89)

I have received numerous replies to my earlier posting.  The nature of these
has led to this one -- please bear with me.

I already have the following equipment:

	Mylex MI-386/20 (64k cache, 4 meg RAM)
	WD 7000 FASST controller
	Maxtor XT-4170S (157 Meg HD)
	Paradise VGA Plus 16
	Targa 16
	Microsoft bus mouse

I have been told that the WD SCSI controller is not supported by any of
the UNIX vendors!!! Arrgh!!! This could be a serious problem.  The Adaptec
is a 1st generation SCSI card and SLOWWWWW!, which is why I went for the
7000 FASST when I configured my system.

In a low-part-count system, it might make sense to use an ESDI instead
of SCSI, but I intend to get a WORM drive, MO drive, etc --
so I'm committed to SCSI.

Suggestions that I chuck the whole system are unwelcome -- those mostly
came from students, whose parents are still paying their rent!!!  I can
handle DOWNGRADING the controller card, but would rather find a vendor
that is willing to support it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please e-mail replies!
Thanks.

P.S. - If all else fails, I could, I suppose, offer to write drivers
for the WD, eh?

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

misha@aeras.UUCP (Michael Umansky) (07/06/89)

In article <12499@well.UUCP> gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) writes:

>I have been told that the WD SCSI controller is not supported by any of
>the UNIX vendors!!! Arrgh!!!
Interactive is supposed to release a WD7000FASST driver in the next few
months - they may have already done it for 386/ix.

>The Adaptec is a 1st generation SCSI card and SLOWWWWW!
Which Adaptec controller?
I have AHA-1542A in a Micronics 386-25Mhz 32k Cache based system
connected to CDC WREN III SCSI (155 Mb formatted).  The 'coretest' V2.7
shows transfer rate of 850 Kbytes per second - is that slow???
What I have heard is that WD7000 does not support the 1:1 interleave
properly, but that could have been just a rumor or a old/bad controller.
misha
--
NAME:	Michael Umansky (sun!aeras!foxy!misha)
WORK:	Arix Corp.;  821 Fox Lane;  San Jose, CA  95131

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/08/89)

In article <349@aeras.UUCP> misha@aeras.UUCP (Michael Umansky) writes:

>What I have heard is that WD7000 does not support the 1:1 interleave
>properly, but that could have been just a rumor or a old/bad controller.

I think you must be confused -- the drive controller is part of the
DRIVE itself in a SCSI system, and hides many of the actual details
of how the sectors are accessed, etc.