[comp.unix.microport] 43 lines and modems???

cassidy@cdp.UUCP (07/07/89)

Can anyone tell me how to send an initialization string to a hayes type modem
on the system boot-up? I need to have the system send a AT S0=1 so it'll let
folks call this system. lso, how do I use the 43 line mode that I was told
by uport when I bought this OS? I have a VGA card and monitor.

-cass

UUCP: cassidy@attctc.dallas.tx.us
or  cdp!cassidy%labrea@stanford

          'Heaven help the fools....'
                      B Weir  Grateful Dead

wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl (Wietse Z. Venema) (07/09/89)

cassidy@cdp.UUCP writes:

>Can anyone tell me how to send an initialization string to a hayes type modem
>on the system boot-up? I need to have the system send a AT S0=1 so it'll let
>folks call this system.

You can try do that with kermit, using the following single line in
/etc/inittab:

r2:2:once:echo 'set line xxx\nset baud yyy\nscript ~0 ats0=1 OK -- atm OK\nexit' | kermit >/dev/null 2>&1

For xxx and yyy one should substitute the proper tty port and baud rate,
respectively.  Alternatively, the tty port and baud-rate setting can
be specified in /.kermrc instead.