[comp.unix.microport] ksh-e SYSV/AT Slow Start Up

wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu (William Ricker) (07/09/89)

Does anyone no why ksh-e on uport SYSV/AT is so slow to start up? The
ksh takes only a couple of seconds, while ksh-e takes about 30 seconds
as reported by ps. By putting echo statements in my .kshrc file, it
appears that the slow down is where the first shell function is
defined.  Interestingly, invoking ksh-e -c "dirs", where dirs is one
of my shell functions, only takes a couple of seconds. However just
starting a new shell by ksh-e takes about 30 seconds. The version of
ksh-e given by ^V command is 06/03/86a. Can any one explain this. Does
any one have a fix!

thanks
--
Bill Ricker                                wlr@vlsi2.ee.ufl.edu
141 Turkey Creek                          wlr@beach.cis.ufl.edu

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (07/11/89)

Ksh keeps a history file.  It keeps growing.  As far as I can see, ksh
never truncates the file.  It slows down linearly as the file grows.
You want to remove the file now and then.

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (07/15/89)

In article <Jul.10.18.51.04.1989.7782@geneva.rutgers.edu>, hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

> Ksh keeps a history file.  It keeps growing.  As far as I can see, ksh
> never truncates the file.  It slows down linearly as the file grows.
> You want to remove the file now and then.

Ksh will allow the history file ($HISTFILE) to grow without bound *until you
log out*, at which time, the history file is truncated to $HISTSIZE bytes.  You
should never have to truncate the file by hand unless you never logout.
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)789-8643

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain