[comp.unix.microport] Lost Console Recovery

peb@PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) (07/22/89)

I have a major problem that I need help with.  While working with 386
release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.
(I was reaching for the line above it).  Now I am in deep spit, as I
can't get in to turn it back on.  (I know....NEXT TIME, PAY ATTENTION)!
Can anyone suggest a workable recovery from this dumb move?
Tnx, in advance!

Pat Bowens
c/o  pacbell!pbhyf!peb   or 415-823-2445
(Pacific Bell 2600 Camino Ramon Rm 2S600B, San Ramon, Ca 94583)

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (07/22/89)

In article <5817@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> peb@PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:

>I have a major problem that I need help with.  While working with 386
>release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.

Method 1:	If you have a getty running on a serial port

	Plug in a serial terminal, log in on it, su to root, fix things

Method 2:	If you don't...

Boot from your boot floppy
Hit del at the first prompt from the INSTALL script
At the shell prompt type the following:
	mount /dev/dsk/0s0 /mnt
	/mnt/bin/ed /mnt/etc/inittab
		... fix it ... and write it out ...
	umount /dev/dsk/0s0
	sync
	sync
	sync
	uadmin 2 0
When the system shuts down take out the boot floppy and reboot from the hard disk.

   -John Plocher

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/23/89)

In article <5817@pbhyf.PacBell.COM> peb@PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:

>I have a major problem that I need help with.  While working with 386
>release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.
>(I was reaching for the line above it).  Now I am in deep spit, as I
>can't get in to turn it back on.  (I know....NEXT TIME, PAY ATTENTION)!
>Can anyone suggest a workable recovery from this dumb move?

Step-by-step:

1. Reboot your system using the Build disk from the distribution.

2. /etc/mount /dev/dsk/0s1 /mnt		# mount root fs

3. /etc/mount /dev/dsk/0s3 /usr		# mount usr fs
	(I'm not sure whether the build disk has a /usr directory --
	 if not, mkdir one.)

4. EXINIT="set directory=/mnt/tmp" ; export EXINIT
	(This makes vi use the tmp directory on the hard disk instead
	 on the floppy)

5. /usr/bin/vi /mnt/etc/inittab		# fix inittab
	(you can :r /etc/inittab to pull up an original console entry)

6. cd / ; /etc/umount /dev/dsk/0s1 ; /etc/umount /dev/dsk/0s3

7. REBOOT from the hard disk.
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

blair@obdient.CHI.IL.US (Doug Blair) (07/24/89)

In article <5817@pbhyf.PacBell.COM>, peb@PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:

> While working with 386
> release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.

Pat: This one's relatively easy. First, login via an alternate console
(hit Alt and F2 for a login prompt). You won't be able to login as root,
but just about any other password you remember is fine.  Next, use the
su command to become root. Third, edit the inittab file. Fourth issue
a "telinit Q" command to fire up the getty on the console device.

What? No alternate consoles? Login via a dialup. What? No dialups? Can you
say "reinstall?"

Doug
 ___  _           _  _             _
|___||___/\___/\___||_|\___/|_|_| |_|   obdient!blair blair@obdient.chi.il.us

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (07/25/89)

In article <5728@obdient.CHI.IL.US> blair@obdient.CHI.IL.US (Doug Blair) writes:
>In article <5817@pbhyf.PacBell.COM>, peb@PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:
>
>> While working with 386
>> release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.
>
>Pat: This one's relatively easy. First, login via an alternate console
>(hit Alt and F2 for a login prompt). You won't be able to login as root,
>but just about any other password you remember is fine.  Next, use the
>su command to become root. Third, edit the inittab file. Fourth issue
>a "telinit Q" command to fire up the getty on the console device.

It's been awhile since I've used uPort's Unix, but I did the same thing under
SCO's Xenix.  I did a telinit and the initab had the console turned off.

All I did was re-boot the system (big red switch time!), and when it came up
at the "type D to proceed, or enter password for system maintenance, I entered
the password, and the system comes up with the console.  Inittab is not run.

Don't I remember SYS V acting this way????

bill
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/27/89)

In article <5728@obdient.CHI.IL.US> blair@obdient.CHI.IL.US (Doug Blair) writes:
 >In article <5817@pbhyf.PacBell.COM>, peb@PacBell.COM (Pat Bowens) writes:
 >
 >> While working with 386
 >> release 3.0e, I carelessly turned off my console in etc/inittab.
 >
 >What? No alternate consoles? Login via a dialup. What? No dialups? Can you
 >say "reinstall?"

Not necessary. Just boot with the boot floppy, then mount /dev/dsk/0s1
on /mnt, and edit your inittab file. Detailed instructions previously posted
by John Plocher and (slightly different) myself. All is not lost!