[comp.unix.microport] Wangtek PC-36 configuration information wanted for System V/AT

eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) (07/30/89)

Hello All!

        Recently I aquired a Wangtek PC-36 cartridge tape subsystem, and
this afternoon I decided to install it.  Now the Release Notes for
System V/AT Version 2.4 claims the PC-36 is supported , and implies that
you use the Everex driver.  Unfortunately, the Release Notes don't
confirm which driver to use, nor does it say how the Wangtek card should
be configured..  It just comments "Please call your Sales Representative
for more detailed information on the supported hardware."

        For grins, I tried contacting Microport, and being a Saturday
afternoon, I didn't really expect to connect with anyone, and I wasn't
disappointed ( suprized?  )

        The real question is, Does anyone happen to have the
configuration information for the Wangtek PC-36 card handy?  I seem to
remember it passing by in this group a while ago, but since I didn't
have the card at the time, I didn't save it..

	Thank you one and all,
		Eric

--
Eric Schnoebelen				egs@u-word.dallas.tx.us
egsner!eric@texbell.swbt.com			...!texbell!egsner!eric

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (07/30/89)

In article <826@egsner.UUCP> eric@egsner.UUCP (Eric Schnoebelen) writes:
>Hello All!
>
>        Recently I aquired a Wangtek PC-36 cartridge tape subsystem, and
>this afternoon I decided to install it.  Now the Release Notes for
>System V/AT Version 2.4 claims the PC-36 is supported

(I hope this is right - I haven't used a 286 since last January :-)

In /usr/linkkit/cf/master you need to choose the ev entry (there was an error
in the master file in that the ar driver and the ev driver were both called
"ar") Change the line (in master) from:
	ar	ev ...
to:
	ev	ev ...

Set up the PC-36 for any unused address, any unused intr, and any unused DMA.
(a good set of defaults is addr 0x300, IRQ 5, and DMA 1)

run the program /usr/linkkit/utility/evinstall (or some such - do an ls and see)

Answer the questions it asks you with the values you set above.

If you wish, you can edit the master and dfile.wini files and config things
any other way you wish.

     -John Plocher

	addr	Notes	(the PC-36 only uses 2 i/o addresses [e.g., 0x300 & 0x301])
	----	-----
	0x300	free but watch out for ethernet cards
	0x310		ditto

	DMA	Used by
	---	-------
	 1	free
	 2	Floppy
	 3	free

	IRQ	Used by
	----	-------
	 1	reserved
	 2	free (redirected to intr 9)
	 3	tty1 (com2:)
	 4	tty0 (com1:)
	 5	lp2
	 6	Floppy
	 7	lp0 and lp1

makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (07/30/89)

You should also notice that the 60Mb versions of the Wangtek drives don't
work too good with Unixes.  There is a simple upgrade to change the drive/
card combination to a 125Mb set.  It involves getting a ROM upgrade and a
bigger RAM buffer chip to the controller board.  Contact Wangtek techincal
support, or email me for details if you are interested.

Otto J. Makela, University of Jyvaskyla
InterNet: makela@tukki.jyu.fi, BitNet: MAKELA_OTTO_@FINJYU.BITNET
BBS: +358 41 211 562 (V.22bis/V.22/V.21, 24h/d), Phone: +358 41 613 847
Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE

"In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying
about had reached a nearly unbelievable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the
mother of the boy, Paul." - Frank Herbert, Dune

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (07/31/89)

In article <1073@tukki.jyu.fi> makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>You should also notice that the 60Mb versions of the Wangtek drives don't
>work too good with Unixes.  There is a simple upgrade to change the drive/
>card combination to a 125Mb set.  It involves getting a ROM upgrade and a
>bigger RAM buffer chip to the controller board.  Contact Wangtek techincal
>support, or email me for details if you are interested.

Could you elaborate on this "don't work too good" ?
I have an Everex controler with the Wangtek 60Mbyte drive and indeed
it doesn't work too good with Unix: sometimes (10 to 20 times per tape)
a byte gets altered while writing to the tape and Unix doesn't notice
the error.
I'm sure my settings are all correct, and the diagnostics can't find
anything wrong (i can run them several times, they don't find even a
single soft or hard error). Still with Unix the tape is unreliable.
(Speed is not a problem, given sufficient buffering is used.)
This is with AT&T sVr3.2u.

I posted this problem before but nobody came forward saying they experienced
the same. The problem only occurs on my Everex Step 386/25. On an
AT&T 6386E I get no errors using a Wangtek controller and drive.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

makela@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (08/02/89)

In article <9709@alice.UUCP>, debra@alice.UUCP () says:
>Could you elaborate on this "don't work too good" ?
>I have an Everex controler with the Wangtek 60Mbyte drive and indeed
>it doesn't work too good with Unix: sometimes (10 to 20 times per tape)
>a byte gets altered while writing to the tape and Unix doesn't notice
>the error. [...]

"Don't work too good" means crashes at random intervals, crashes if one
happens to attempt to write beyond the end of the tape, general stickiness of
operation (there is no point in trying to log in while the tape is running,
there is simply not enough cpu available !) and other mess.  Data that
*does* get written did however seem to get there without problems.

The hardware and the software: Wangtek streamer drive model 5099EN24 and
controller card assy 30850-004 rev. G4, connected to an 20 MHz Unisys 800
(same as Acer 1100) running under Microport 386 Unix 3.0e.

The solution for us was to get in touch with Wangtek technical support at
41 Moreland Rd., Simi Valley, CA 93065, USA, phone +1 805 582 3300, fax
+1 805 583 8249, and there a Mr. Will Evans.  He gave us instructions on
upgrading the 60M drive into a 125M one and sent us a replacement ROM for
this purpose.  This ROM was identified as "F29E - 15/18/9 E0FFH".

The procedure is as follows: replace the old ROM in socket U9 (probably
something like "COPYRIGHT 1987 CMS INC. 20674-003 A.22") with the new F29E.
Replace the RAM chip in U8 (type FUJITSU 8128-15) with a SONY CXK5864BP-12L,
or a HITACHI HM6264ALP-10 or a compatible (we used SAMSUNG KM6264A-10).
Note that the new chip is two pins longer than the old one.  Move the jumper
W2 to W3 to inform the software of the larger RAM chip.
Set board jumpers for I/O address 0x300, IRQ 5 and DMA channel 1.

After this, the normal evinstall procedure can be used to make a new kernel
for using this board.

It Worked For Us, Don't Know About You,