[comp.unix.microport] Login problems with System V/386 3.0e

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (06/19/89)

In article <782@cgh.UUCP> david@cgh.UUCP (David Kozinn) writes:
>account from any of the consoles, but I can't seem to log in on any
>account that has a password when dialing in remotely. What I try to
>do that, I get the usual "Login incorrect" message but BEFORE I even
>get the Password: prompt.

I've seen the same thing here and am interested in what is causing this.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

nusip@maccs.McMaster.CA (Mike Borza) (06/22/89)

In article <9462@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>In article <782@cgh.UUCP> david@cgh.UUCP (David Kozinn) writes:
     [that he can't log in remotely]
>>do that, I get the usual "Login incorrect" message but BEFORE I even
>>get the Password: prompt.
>I've seen the same thing here and am interested in what is causing this.
>  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

I believe the problem is probably in the "final-flags" field of
/etc/gettydefs.  In particular, I had similar problems when the
SANE flag was present.  Also, on my 386/ix 2.0.1 system, `stty sane'
logs me out from a directly connected terminal.  I believe the cause
is the same, but haven't had time to isolate it.

Anybody got any ideas?

mike borza

--
Michael Borza                       work: <antel!mike@maccs.McMaster.CA>
Antel Optronics Inc.                home: <boopsy!mike@maccs.McMaster.CA>

jonathan@ism780c.isc.com (Jonathan C. Broome) (06/25/89)

In article <2765@maccs.McMaster.CA> nusip@maccs.UUCP (Mike Borza) writes:
:      [that he can't log in remotely]
:
: I believe the problem is probably in the "final-flags" field of
: /etc/gettydefs.  In particular, I had similar problems when the
: SANE flag was present.  Also, on my 386/ix 2.0.1 system, `stty sane'
: logs me out from a directly connected terminal.  I believe the cause
: is the same, but haven't had time to isolate it.
:
: Anybody got any ideas?

Pretty close. The problem is generally that gettydefs and/or stty is clearing
the CLOCAL bit on a serial line without the modem control signals wired up.
The software approach is to change gettydefs to keep CLOCAL on, while the
hardware approach is to wire the cable to either pass DCD through or to
force it high.  Also, using an absolutely-no-modem-control device should
do the trick as well.

   ---Jonathan Broome		jonathan@ism780c.isc.com

david@cgh.UUCP (David Kozinn) (07/23/89)

I seem to have run into a strange problem with logins on my System
V/386 (version 3.0e) system. I have no problem logging in to any
account from any of the consoles, but I can't seem to log in on any
account that has a password when dialing in remotely. What I try to
do that, I get the usual "Login incorrect" message but BEFORE I even
get the Password: prompt.

A bit of further experimentation showed that when I dialed in
remotely (on an unpassworded account) and tried to even su to a
passworded account, the su just came back immediately without an
error message, without asking me for the password, and without
changing users.

Is there some security feature that I've inadvertently turned on?
This makes leaving the system up for me to dial into remotely just a
wee bit difficult. Thanks in advance.
--
         David Kozinn
UUCP:          {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!david

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (08/02/89)

In article <782@cgh.UUCP> david@cgh.UUCP (David Kozinn) writes:
>I seem to have run into a strange problem with logins on my System
>V/386 (version 3.0e) system. I have no problem logging in to any
>account from any of the consoles, but I can't seem to log in on any
>account that has a password when dialing in remotely. What I try to
>do that, I get the usual "Login incorrect" message but BEFORE I even
>get the Password: prompt.

As far as I can tell, there is a a bug where /dev/tty doesn't always
get set up correctly and /bin/login fails when it can't open it.  Non
standard getty things seem to make it worse.  That's about all I know
about this problem.

--
Branch Technology            |  zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) (08/14/89)

In article <9632@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

>As far as I can tell, there is a a bug where /dev/tty doesn't always
>get set up correctly and /bin/login fails when it can't open it.  Non
>standard getty things seem to make it worse.  That's about all I know
>about this problem.

I had meant to post a follow-up on this (I thought I did, I'm pretty new to
netnews and might have messed up), but Jon is apparently correct. The problem
had to do with the tty not being set up correctly. Here's my current gettydefs
line for the tty in question:

2400H# B2400 # B2400 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #\nlogin: #1200H

This line does, indeed, work correctly and I haven't had any problems since I
put this in. Thanks to those who sent help.
--
David Kozinn            | UUCP:      {rutgers | uunet}!cbmvax!cgh!monymys!david
MONY Financial Services | Internet:  monymsys!cgh!david@manta.pha.pa.us

david@monymsys.uucp (David Kozinn) (08/15/89)

In article <9632@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

>As far as I can tell, there is a a bug where /dev/tty doesn't always
>get set up correctly and /bin/login fails when it can't open it.  Non
>standard getty things seem to make it worse.  That's about all I know
>about this problem.

I had meant to post a follow-up on this (I thought I did, I'm pretty new to
netnews and might have messed up), but Jon is apparently correct. The problem
had to do with the tty not being set up correctly. Here's my current gettydefs
line for the tty in question:

2400H# B2400 # B2400 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #\nlogin: #1200H

This line does, indeed, work correctly and I haven't had any problems since I
put this in. Thanks to those who sent help.
--
UUCP:     {rutgers | uunet }!cbmvax!cgh!monymsys!david
Internet: monymsys!cgh!david@manta.pha.pa.us