[comp.unix.microport] Gotchas, Compatible EGA/VGA Cards, and DWB?

weyrich@csun1.UUCP (Orville Weyrich) (08/11/89)

I have the opportunity to pick up the latest (last?) version of Microport V/386
with DOS Merge cheap, and am trying to anticipate the proper hardware
configuration.  My current configuration is:

A 16-MHz double sigma 80386-based AT-clone (Goldstar Technology GST-386)
which is built around a Micronics motherboard and which has an Adaptec
ACB-2372 rev A RLL controller (1:1 interleave), Seagate ST-277R-1 and
ST-4096 hard drives,
1.2 Meg floppy, 80387 coprocessor, two standard RS-232 ports, two standard
parallel ports, a CGA video board, 2-Meg of main memory, and AWARD BIOS
version C3.03.
I am currently running MS-DOS 3.30.

I expect that I will have to get a version 3.2 of MS-DOS to work with
the DOS-MERGE, and that the ST-4096 will probably not work with UNIX.
I also may have trouble with the Intel Eratum 21 if I do not upgrade
my CPU to a D-step or get an Ironwood adapter. I expect that with only 2 Meg
of memory, performance will be kind of slow.

QUESTION #1 Are there any other 'gotchas' that I haven't identified
above that I should be aware of?

QUESTION #2 For certain work I need to use MS-DOS with expanded memory, and
a EGA or VGA card.  This implies running MS-DOS directly rather than under
DOS-MERGE. This is no problem, except that I need to install a graphics
card which can be switched into EGA or VGA mode under MS-DOS, but which will
by default come up in some mode that UNIX will be happy with.  Does the net
have any recommendations?  I am considering the Logix VGA1000 advertised in
the Computer Shopper August issue on page 296. Does anyone have experience
with this card?

QUESTION #3 Does anyone have a licenced copy of the DWB (troff etc) for
Microport V/386 that they would like to sell cheap?

Thanks in advance; please e-mail and I will post a summary if by popular
demand.

--
Orville R. Weyrich, Jr.          | UUCP    : ...gatech!csun1!weyrich
Department of Computer Science   | INTERNET: weyrich@csun1.cs.uga.edu

wnp@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (08/16/89)

In article <226@csun1.UUCP> weyrich@csun1.UUCP (Orville Weyrich) writes:
 >I expect that I will have to get a version 3.2 of MS-DOS to work with
 >the DOS-MERGE, and that the ST-4096 will probably not work with UNIX.

What makes you think that the 4096 will not work with UNIX? I am using
one right now, albeit with a WD MFM controller.

 >QUESTION #3 Does anyone have a licenced copy of the DWB (troff etc) for
 >Microport V/386 that they would like to sell cheap?

URBAN APPLIED SCIENCE (uunet!urban!jlr) sells DWB 2.0 with JetRoff and their
own front end for $175. This comes with the Dougherty/O'Reilly UNIX Text
Processing book and AT&T documentation for GRAP. If you want the other
AT&T docs, buy the Prentice-Hall editions.
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".