[comp.unix.microport] SYSV AT ON A 386?

moo@uts.amdahl.com (Chris Halpin) (08/15/89)

Is there any compelling reason why one could/should not run
SYSV AT on a 386?

--

Chris Halpin
arpa: moo@uts.amdahl.com

bill@inebriae.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (08/16/89)

In article <f7I.02E=4acU01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> moo@uts.amdahl.com (Chris Halpin) writes:
>Is there any compelling reason why one could/should not run
>SYSV AT on a 386?

Sure are, the '386 has a virtual '286 mode.  You can run '286 software with
all of the penalties and none of the benefits.  I tried to explain that to
another frequent contributor to this group and he said (effectively)  NO!
it's a dog on a '386 too!  Sure, you can save $500 on the software for the
board you spent $1000 for;  that software will run like it would've on a $300
board.  Take your pick.
--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill@ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (08/23/89)

>Is there any compelling reason why one could/should not run
>SYSV AT on a 386?

It runs fine, as you'd expect.  Having run it and then switched
to unix386, I have to say that the 386 version is a whole
lot faster and more solid.  Still, you'll see a speedup
from the switch to 386 motherboard.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840