[comp.unix.microport] Ulimit on Sys V/AT?

johnk@opel.UUCP (John Kennedy) (08/23/89)

I'm sure this has been worked into the ground, but is there
not a kernel location that can be patched on Sys V/AT 2.4
that increases the ulimit across the board?

Thanks in advance,

John
--
John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.UUCP
Second Source, Inc.

" Maynard) (08/24/89)

In article <267@opel.UUCP> johnk@opel.UUCP (John Kennedy) writes:
>I'm sure this has been worked into the ground, but is there
>not a kernel location that can be patched on Sys V/AT 2.4
>that increases the ulimit across the board?

Yup. It's called ulpatch. By default, it's 1228800 bytes (2400 512-byte
blocks):
Script started Thu Aug 24 06:25:08 1989
(114) root@splut:/: patch /unix.2.4.0 ulpatch
0x960

You can increase  it (or decrease it, though I have no idea why you'd
want to) by using /etc/patch to change this value, as I've done to my
system:
(115) root@splut:/: patch /system5 ulpatch
0x7fff
This runs it up to 16 MB - which oughtta be enough. (I don't know if
this is a signed number or not, or if it's a short or a long - anyone
out there know more?) Just say,
patch /system5 ulpatch 0x7fff
and reboot. If you wanna save yourself the boot, just reissue the same
command, adding the -k switch to patch kernel memory.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.