[comp.unix.microport] V/386 + 630Mb ESDI = Trouble?

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (08/24/89)

Well, I just got myself a 630Mb ESDI disk (a CDC Wren with 1630
cylinders, 15 heads, and 53 sectors/track) and a Western Digital
WD1007V-SE2 controller which I'm trying to use with Microport
System V/386 3.0e and, as you can see from the subject, I'm
having a bit of trouble.

I've formatted the drive, partitioned it, and made file systems
without any apparent trouble, but now when I run fsck on the file
systems, I get non-repeatable results.  Once it will say the file
system is fine, next time there's a bad free list, next time it's
fine again.  Similarly, sometimes an fsck on the raw device will
be OK, but when run on the block device there's errors or vice
versa.

So, does anyone have any ideas how I can determine exactly where
the problem is?  Is it the disk, the controller, the hd driver,
or something else in the kernel?  Has anyone else used large ESDI
drives with V/386?  It claims to support them, but has anyone
actually done it?  Help?
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"I have plenty of good sense.  I just choose to ignore it."
-Calvin

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (08/25/89)

In article <781@sdrc.UUCP>, scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:

> So, does anyone have any ideas how I can determine exactly where
> the problem is?  Is it the disk, the controller, the hd driver,
> or something else in the kernel?  Has anyone else used large ESDI
> drives with V/386?  It claims to support them, but has anyone
> actually done it?  Help?

I am running a 650 Meg ESDI drive under 386/ix, but the controller I am using
is the DPT caching controller which appears to the system as an st506.

I have 2.5 meg of cache on the controller and have been very impressed
with the performance.

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (08/28/89)

In article <781@sdrc.UUCP>, I wrote:
> I've formatted the drive, partitioned it, and made file systems
> without any apparent trouble, but now when I run fsck on the file
> systems, I get non-repeatable results.  Once it will say the file
> system is fine, next time there's a bad free list, next time it's
> fine again.  Similarly, sometimes an fsck on the raw device will
> be OK, but when run on the block device there's errors or vice
> versa.

Well, I've just spent all weekend trying various experiments.  I
created file systems and populated them from a backup tape.  The
disk is, however, basically unusable; it will boot, but I get all
kinds of errors and fsck is very unhappy with it.  HOWEVER, if I
boot Bell Tech unix from a floppy and run their fsck, all is
well.  Mount the root partition and run uport's fsck and it now
reports all is well, too.

So, it is obviously a problem somewhere in the kernel -- the hd
driver, the file system code, or ???.  Would one of you nice
people with the BBS disks check to see if there's anything in the
fixes section that looks like it might apply (I ordered them
months ago, but they never showed up!).  Otherwise, it looks like
it's time to call Bell Tech and ISC.
----