[comp.unix.microport] Problem with Micom ethernet tcp/ip and SysV/AT 2.4

geo_rsb@tor.nhh.no (08/22/89)

I am running uport System V/AT 2.4 with DosMerge 286 2.0 on
an AT-compatible, and have installed the most recent linkkit,
i.e. the one with DosMerge.

In addition I have a Micom-interlan NP600A ethernet card, and
accompanying NP626 software for uport System V (version 2.3 or
later)(sic). On installation, which involved running the linkkit,
it turned out that there was an unreferenced call on putchar() !!

It is clear that linkkit changed between versions 2.3 and 2.4
(most probably not only in kernio.c).

Has anyone heard of a succesful installation of NP626 tcp/ip
software and ethernet drivers under uport version 2.4 - with or
without DosMerge? The easiest line of retreat is to go back to
the version 2.3 linkkit and kernel, *but* then I loose my RLL
disk.

Roger Bivand
Institute of Geography
Norwegian School of Economics And Business Administration
Bergen, Norway

geo_rsb@tor.nhh.no, roger.bivand@nhh.uninett.ean

johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) (08/22/89)

In article <65@tor.nhh.no> geo_rsb@tor.nhh.no writes:
>In addition I have a Micom-interlan NP600A ethernet card, and
>accompanying NP626 software for uport System V (version 2.3 or
>later)(sic). On installation, which involved running the linkkit,
>it turned out that there was an unreferenced call on putchar() !!

I had a similar problem with the Bell Tech ICC serial board.
Add the following code to one of your kernel link kit libraries:

putchar(c)
int c;
{
	return kdcputc(c);
}

This enabled me to build a 2.4 kernel from the link kit.

--
John A. Limpert			I'm the NRA!
Internet: johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET	UUCP: uunet!n3dmc!johnl

plocher%sally@Sun.COM (John Plocher) (08/23/89)

In article <757@n3dmc.UU.NET> johnl@n3dmc.UUCP (John Limpert) writes:
>>it turned out that there was an unreferenced call on putchar() !!
>Add the following code to one of your kernel link kit libraries:
>
>putchar(c)
>int c;
>{
>	return kdcputc(c);
>}

This is in fact the "official" Microport solution to that problem -
We reconmended putting that code in the kernio.c file (in linkkit/cf
I think) because the existing Makefiles will then automatically use it.

   -John Plocher

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (08/23/89)

While trying to build RCS Version 4.2 for Microport V/AT 2.4, I got the
following errors from the assembler pass (the file was partime.c):

Assembler: partime.c
	aline 257	: syntax error
	aline 258	: syntax error
	aline 259	: syntax error
	aline 259	: syntax error

Stop.

Does anybody have any ideas what is wrong here (and how I might be able
to work around this).  BTW, I tried this with both the assember that was
in the 2.4 distribution and with a newer version of the assembler with
several bug fixes.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf
*or* ...!rochester!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf
"The Earth? I'm going to blow it up.  It obstructs my view of Venus" - Martin

vandys@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia(Seattle)) (08/25/89)

/ hpcupt1:comp.unix.microport / tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) /  5:41 am  Aug 23, 1989 /
>	aline 257	: syntax error

	These usually means you should try compiling without the optimizer.

					Andy

laurie@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (60648000) (08/27/89)

In article <30313@cci632.UUCP> tvf@ccird7.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>While trying to build RCS Version 4.2 for Microport V/AT 2.4, I got the
>following errors from the assembler pass (the file was partime.c):
>
>Assembler: partime.c
>	aline 257	: syntax error
>	aline 258	: syntax error
>	aline 259	: syntax error
>	aline 259	: syntax error

These are bugs in the code generation. You might try not using the optimizer
or compiling with -S and hand tweaking the assembly to get around the problem
or get a different compiler.

Ken Chapin

toy@ecse.rpi.edu (Ray Toy) (08/28/89)

In article <30313@cci632.UUCP> tvf@ccird7.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>While trying to build RCS Version 4.2 for Microport V/AT 2.4, I got the
>following errors from the assembler pass (the file was partime.c):
>
>Assembler: partime.c
>	aline 257	: syntax error
>	aline 258	: syntax error
>	aline 259	: syntax error
>	aline 259	: syntax error
>
>Stop.

	I haven't tried building RCS version 4.2, but an older version
also gave these problems.  If I remember correctly, the offending line
was in the initialization of the structure associated with times.
(Sorry, can't remember exactly what right now.)
	One of the entries is supposed to be a function address, which
is cast to a long.  My ``solution'' was just to change the function
reference into a NULL pointer.  It solved the assembly problem, and
I haven't had any wierd things happen.  If you're a bit more paranoid,
you could probably write a very simple routine that initializes the
appropriate entry with the correct function address.  I haven't done
this though.
	If you still have problems, I can dig up more specific
information.

>Thanks in advance.

	No problem.  Hope this helps.

Ray ----->		toy@ecse.rpi.edu