[comp.unix.microport] Networking UNIX and MS-DOS

sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) (08/30/89)

We have a machine running System V/386 3.0e.1, and a lot of PCs running MSDOS.
We would like to somehow network these things together at least well enough
to do file transfers of some kind.  How can this be done?  Any examples of
this working (or not working as the case may be) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Stephe
{ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm     or     sjm@well.sf.ca.usa
"You heard the weirdo man.  What is truth?"

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (08/30/89)

	You might look at having putting an NFS server on the Unix machine
and running PC-NFS on the pc's.  This should allow the pc's to use disks
on the unix machine as though they were local disks.  Not sure of what
products would be involved though.  Both products would run on a
TCP/IP layer on top of an ethernet product.

-wat-

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (09/04/89)

In article <13400@well.UUCP> sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>We have a machine running System V/386 3.0e.1, and a lot of PCs running MSDOS.
>We would like to somehow network these things together at least well enough
>to do file transfers of some kind.  How can this be done?

uPort includes a working version of C-Kermit.
Get a copy of Kermit-MS 2.32/A for the PCs.  Ain't fast, but it is free.

					-=EPS=-

jeffrey@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler) (09/04/89)

In article <515@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <13400@well.UUCP> sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>>We have a machine running System V/386 3.0e.1, and a lot of PCs running MSDOS.
>>We would like to somehow network these things together at least well enough
>>to do file transfers of some kind.  How can this be done?
>
>uPort includes a working version of C-Kermit.
>Get a copy of Kermit-MS 2.32/A for the PCs.  Ain't fast, but it is free.

Kermit is how I used to do it, til I found a better way yet.  I have
Lachman TCP/IP for my UNIX box, and got Phil Karn's KA9Q for the DOS
machine.  Documentation stinks, but it is free and otherwise of very
high quality.  I run them atop Ethernet.  Ethernet boards for AT bus
machines are astonishingly cheap.

In case you do not have another way to get TCP/IP on your UNIX box,
there is said to be a KA9Q for Unix, though I have not tried it.
Kermit atop Ethernet would be a further improvement, but Kermit does
not seem to support it.

--

Jeffrey Kegler, Independent UNIX Consultant, Algorists, Inc.
jeffrey@algor2.ALGORISTS.COM or uunet!algor2!jeffrey

jeffrey@algor2.algorists.com (Jeffrey Kegler) (09/05/89)

In article <1989Sep4.012208.5963@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
[ Stuff about how I network DOS using Phil Karn's KA9Q on top of Ethernet ]

A couple people Emailed me questions about this posting, and I thought
the answers might be of enough general interest to deserve posting.

From Stephen Moehle {ucbvax,pacbell,hplabs}!well!sjm or sjm@well.sf.ca.us

=> Thanks for the networking info, but I have a few more questions.
=> Where can I get Lachman TCP/IP?  Why did you choose it over
=> Microports own TCP/IP?

I used to run Microport but now run Bell Tech UNIX.  Bell Tech sells
Lachman TCP/IP for their UNIX.  If you run Microport you'll have to
find a TCP/IP that runs on it.

=> Also, where can I find Phil Karn's KA9Q for MSDOS?

I got it from the uunet archives.  It is also on Simtel 20, I
believe.

=> One final thing, do you know if it is possible to get TCP/IP to run
=> on IBM Token Ring hardware with Microport?  All our PCs are
=> currently on a Token Ring network.

Interesting setup.  No idea, sorry.

A. Lester Buck (...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck) repeats my assertion that
=> => Ethernet boards for AT bus machines are astonishingly cheap.

=> I am looking for some cheap Ethernet boards.  What model and price
=> should I look at for such low prices, and where can I buy them?

I have two Ethernet boards (kind of the minimum for a network :-), one
of which is embedded in my Bell Tech IWS board, which also is a
graphics card for their BLIT monitor.  Of more interest to this group,
the other is Western Digital's Ethercard Plus.  I have not made a
study of the market.  The WD was reccommended by my distributor (whom
I trust), was $245, and has not let me down yet.
--

tingley@stsim.UUCP (David Tingley) (09/09/89)

In article <1989Sep4.012208.5963@algor2.algorists.com> jeffrey@algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>In article <515@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>In article <13400@well.UUCP> sjm@well.UUCP (Stephen Moehle) writes:
>>>We have a machine running System V/386 3.0e.1, and a lot of PCs running MSDOS.
>>>We would like to somehow network these things together at least well enough
>>>to do file transfers of some kind.  How can this be done?
>>
>>uPort includes a working version of C-Kermit.
>>Get a copy of Kermit-MS 2.32/A for the PCs.  Ain't fast, but it is free.
>>

>Kermit is how I used to do it, til I found a better way yet.  I have
>
>In case you do not have another way to get TCP/IP on your UNIX box,
>there is said to be a KA9Q for Unix, though I have not tried it.
>Kermit atop Ethernet would be a further improvement, but Kermit does
>not seem to support it.

The version of KA9Q that I have for unix supports only SLIP, no
ethernet.  If anyone has a version that does support ethernet I would
love to hear about it.

MSkermit ver.  2.32 now supports netbios.  And even says in the
documentation that "this can be used to log into some unix machines via
ethernet", but does not elaborate in any way.  Simply dangles that
enticing news and leaves you hanging.

Anyone else know more about this?

Dave

No .signature