[comp.unix.microport] Communications Programs

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (09/25/89)

Does anyone know of a nice communications program that will run under
286 and/or 386 Microport?  I just bought a copy of TERM after reading a
glowing review in Unix World which indicated that it was comparable to
ProComm from the DOS world.  I was very disappointed.  At more than
three times the price of ProComm, TERM is no where near as functional
or easy to use.  Only two popular file transfer protocols are supported
(Kermit and Xmodem); there's no "point and shoot" dialing directory; no
scroll-back feature.  On the positive side, TERM does have a powerful
scripting language which could probably be used to implement some of these
features, but at the premium price, I don't want to have to do the work
myself!

I tried compiling Pcomm (version 2), but it seemed to want to dump core
at random places, and I haven't taken the time to try to debug it.  Can
this program be made to work on the 286?
--
John Temples -- UUCP: uunet!jwt!john  or
		      {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!jwt!john

larry@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (09/27/89)

> Does anyone know of a nice communications program that will run under
> 286 and/or 386 Microport?  I just bought a copy of TERM after reading a
> glowing review in Unix World which indicated that it was comparable to
> ProComm from the DOS world.  I was very disappointed.  At more than
> three times the price of ProComm, TERM is no where near as functional
> or easy to use.  Only two popular file transfer protocols are supported
> (Kermit and Xmodem); there's no "point and shoot" dialing directory; no

I had the same problems with Pcomm (version 2) both under Interactive
2.02 and SCO Xenix (2.3.1).  Since then I picked up a copy of Pro-Yam
and it is excellent.   Pro Yam does everything that I could ever want
under Xenix (and yes, there is a version of Unix V5).

--
Larry Snyder                               uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site                   Notre Dame, IN USA

johnk@opel.uu.net (John Kennedy) (09/27/89)

I, too, bought TERM and am extremely disappointed.

They got a glowing recommendation in the nutshell book,
_DOS meets UNIX_.  What I was looking for was a way to download
and command the DOS system from the UNIX system.

After being told I should buy a version for DOS and a version for
the V/AT, I ended up shelling out over $600.

What I found was that to do that, you run the DOS system in a
"server" mode, and send commands to it.

All the "server" mode is is a script that does a ctty command on the
DOS machine and waits for input.  Hell, I could have done that,
and then driven the DOS machine with shell scripts from the UNIX host.

Spend and learn.

John
--
John Kennedy                     johnk@opel.uu.uunet
Second Source, Inc.

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (09/27/89)

In article <281@opel.uu.net> johnk@opel.UUCP (John Kennedy) writes:
>All the [TERM] "server" mode is is a script that does a ctty command on the
>DOS machine and waits for input.  Hell, I could have done that,
>and then driven the DOS machine with shell scripts from the UNIX host.
>
>Spend and learn.

Without wishing to defend the TERM product per se, let me point out that
there *is* one advantage to keeping the DOS task resident while you feed
it commands, as opposed to repeatedly loading VP/ix from the UNIX prompt
via shell scripts, and that is that you defeat the ungodly slow loading
time of VP/ix.  It has so *much* stuff to set up that you are much
better off staying in DOS for as long as you can once it's loaded.

I used to use DOS-platformed versions of a couple of Intel language
tools for my production system, with UNIX scripts controlling
everything.  Grooooaannn.  I eventually modified the scripts to build
the biggest damn .BAT file they could, to try and cram many operations
into one DOS load, and that improved things a bit.  (I never thought of
the "DOS server" idea, not bad!)  Fortunately UNIX platformed versions
of my tools came out recently and I can breathe easier.
--
 1955-1975: 36 Elvis movies.  |  Tom Neff
 1975-1989: nothing.          |  tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (09/29/89)

In article <364@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>Does anyone know of a nice communications program that will run under
>286 and/or 386 Microport?  I just bought a copy of TERM after reading a
>glowing review in Unix World which indicated that it was comparable to
>ProComm from the DOS world.  I was very disappointed...

I've used TERM for a while and must say that I'm fairly satisfied.
While the point-and-shoot interfaces are nice, I can use it
on a serial terminal remote from the main console, and it's
pretty solid and bug-free.  The current manual is a vast improvement
over the earlier version (new one came some time last year).

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840