[comp.unix.microport] Elm/mailx/smail on SysV/AT

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (10/16/89)

After reinstalling my System V/AT (version 2.4) and restoring Elm
and other stuff, I found I hadn't saved 'smail'.  After getting
the sources from an archive site and reinstalling 'smail' I find
that Elm (2.3d, patchlevel 6) crashes with segmentation violations
upon exiting after reading and deleting mail.  After that, even
/bin/mailx won't exit after reading/deleting mail, and I have to
use /bin/mail to clear it all up, then delete Elm's temporary
mailbox file.

NOthing has changed on this system--Elm was restored from a
backup--except 'smail'.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.  Please reply via email, using the path below.  Recent
changes in my connections have probably rendered your pathalias
data out of date.

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (10/16/89)

From article <1219@fallst.UUCP>, by tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans):
> that Elm (2.3d, patchlevel 6) crashes with segmentation violations

I have put up elm on a 286 with uPort 2.4 and it always crahes when
deleting a message at the main menu.  It works fine if you
are reading mail and hit D.  This has been consistant throught
ELM 2.2 PL 6-11 and I haven't tried it at any other version.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

horn@rt3.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) (10/17/89)

In article <997@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>From article <1219@fallst.UUCP>, by tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans):
>> that Elm (2.3d, patchlevel 6) crashes with segmentation violations
>
>I have put up elm on a 286 with uPort 2.4 and it always crahes when
>deleting a message at the main menu.  It works fine if you
>are reading mail and hit D.  This has been consistant throught
>ELM 2.2 PL 6-11 and I haven't tried it at any other version.

This must be something particular to your systems.  I have smail2.5, and
ELM2.3dev PL3 running on SysV (AT&T 3b1, software release 3.51) and I have
Yet to experience that phenomenon.  I've had elm since ELM2.2 PL11.

I don't think it's fair to attribute this problem to ELM.

- sparkie
--
p.s.	Please reply to one of the following addresses and NOT the one
	listed above.  Thanks!

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (10/17/89)

In article <3338@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, horn@rt3.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Horn) writes:
> In article <997@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
> >From article <1219@fallst.UUCP>, by tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans):
> >> that Elm (2.3d, patchlevel 6) crashes with segmentation violations
> >
> >I have put up elm on a 286 with uPort 2.4 and it always crahes when
> >deleting a message at the main menu.  It works fine if you
> >are reading mail and hit D.  This has been consistant throught
> >ELM 2.2 PL 6-11 and I haven't tried it at any other version.
>
> This must be something particular to your systems.  I have smail2.5, and
> ELM2.3dev PL3 running on SysV (AT&T 3b1, software release 3.51) and I have
> Yet to experience that phenomenon.  I've had elm since ELM2.2 PL11.
>
> I don't think it's fair to attribute this problem to ELM.

Having posted the original request, I need to point out here that
Jonathan is complaining about a different thing than I did and that
Mark missed the crucial point that it is Microport System V/AT about
which we're talking--not AT&T UNIX on the 3b1.

On Jonathan's point, there are some explicit instructions contained
in the elm source distribution telling you about fixes (patches are
even included) to make elm run under uPort '286.  I was in on the
testing and have made a pest of myself to the development group insisting
that elm run on my '286.  Check the 'README' file.  Note especially that
you should *N*O*T* use the '-O' (optimizer switch) in compiling the
package.  Also, large model is required for the elm exeutable itself.

To repeat, the original problem I reported was with 'smail' not with
elm.  Elm works great on uPort System V/AT--every version since I
started with 1.7; I'm not using the development version 2.3d.

--
UUCP:		uunet!anagld!aplcen!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu

" Maynard) (10/18/89)

In article <997@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:
>I have put up elm on a 286 with uPort 2.4 and it always crahes when
>deleting a message at the main menu.  It works fine if you
>are reading mail and hit D.  This has been consistant throught
>ELM 2.2 PL 6-11 and I haven't tried it at any other version.

This must have been introduced at PL 6, then; when I went from PL 5 to
PL 11, it appeared. Now I know where to go look.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.