[comp.unix.microport] EGA/VGA and DOS Merge

kwalker@cs.arizona.edu (Kenneth Walker) (11/21/89)

I have a Zenith enhanced EGA video card and an analog color monitor.
In order to create a DOS image for use with DOS Merge, I have to put
the card in monochrome mode. This is somewhat disapointing. I am
considering buying a new video card to solve the problem. I am looking
for advice on what boards I can/cannot use with an analog color monitor
under DOS Merge. Any comments on experience will be appreciated.

Thanks.

  Ken Walker / Computer Science Dept / Univ of Arizona / Tucson, AZ 85721
  +1 602 621 2858  kwalker@cs.arizona.edu {uunet|allegra|noao}!arizona!kwalker

ken@metaware.metaware.com (ken) (11/21/89)

In article <15666@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> kwalker@cs.arizona.edu (Kenneth Walker) writes:
>I have a Zenith enhanced EGA video card and an analog color monitor.
>In order to create a DOS image for use with DOS Merge, I have to put
>the card in monochrome mode. This is somewhat disapointing. I am
>considering buying a new video card to solve the problem. I am looking
>for advice on what boards I can/cannot use with an analog color monitor
>under DOS Merge. Any comments on experience will be appreciated.

There were very few cards that worked well in ega mode. The one that comes off
the top of my head and is still available is the Video-7 vega ega card. I have
seen it locally advertised for about $125.00 at Fry's electronics.

--Ken