[comp.unix.microport] help!

johncore@ka3adu.UUCP (john core) (11/28/89)

Does anyone know how to get an Archive ft-60 tape drive to
work on u-port 386 ???. Archive sent me drivers but no instructions.
When I called them they said they never supported u-port 386, yet
I have a distribution disk from them labeled u-port 386. On an
old ad in unix-world they list u-port as supported. but there new
add makkes no mention of microport. Microport comes with the BSH
program evinstaLL which used ev.o and config in the atconf directory
Archive supplied the files ft.o and config. I tried renaming the
files and using evinstall but the 386 hangs when I call for a tape
function. Has anyone installed an FT-60 on U-port???
thanks

|--| john core |___| UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!ka3adu!johncore |----|

scjones@sdrc.UUCP (Larry Jones) (12/02/89)

In article <578@ka3adu.UUCP>, johncore@ka3adu.UUCP (john core) writes:
> Does anyone know how to get an Archive ft-60 tape drive to
> work on u-port 386 ???. Archive sent me drivers but no instructions.
> When I called them they said they never supported u-port 386, yet
> I have a distribution disk from them labeled u-port 386. On an
> old ad in unix-world they list u-port as supported. but there new
> add makkes no mention of microport. Microport comes with the BSH
> program evinstaLL which used ev.o and config in the atconf directory
> Archive supplied the files ft.o and config. I tried renaming the
> files and using evinstall but the 386 hangs when I call for a tape
> function. Has anyone installed an FT-60 on U-port???

Even as I type this, I am backing up onto one.  I got the drivers
directly from Microport (just before their unfortunate demise).
If you call them, you still might be able to get it.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@SDRC.UU.NET
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
"You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid?  Well MINE are even WORSE!"
-Calvin

kwalker@cs.arizona.edu (Kenneth Walker) (12/06/89)

From article <578@ka3adu.UUCP>, by johncore@ka3adu.UUCP (john core):

> Does anyone know how to get an Archive ft-60 tape drive to
> work on u-port 386 ???.

What kind of contoller do you have? The documentation with the
u-port QIC-02 tape driver says that it supports Archive SC499
and Archive SC499R QIC-02 tape controllers. Note that the driver
they shipped with Version 3.0e is bogus. You need to call them
and ask them to send you the version that works. Disclaimer:
I have an Everex tape drive, so all I can do is quote the
documentation relating to Archive devices.

  Ken Walker / Computer Science Dept / Univ of Arizona / Tucson, AZ 85721
  +1 602 621 2858  kwalker@cs.arizona.edu {uunet|allegra|noao}!arizona!kwalker