[comp.unix.microport] Smart Multi-port Boards

barker@wd0gol.WD0GOL.MN.ORG (Bob Barker) (12/22/89)

My appologies if something like this has been posted in the recent
past, but I haven't seen it...

I'm planning on purchasing a "smart" multi-port board for use on
a Compaq Deskpro 386/25 running Interactive 386/ix version 2.0.1.
I will be hanging a mix of terminals and a modem or 2 off of the
machine and need to know what board is my best choice.

I'm considering 8 port boards by Arnet, Computone and Digiboard.
I've had experience with Arnet and Computone in the past (both
good and bad) but not with Digiboard.  The magazine ads for Digiboard
as well as their literature makes them out to be the best performer
(as far as high throughput and low CPU utilization).

My primary concerns are:
	Ability to support full hardware flow control with a trailblazer
	Compatibility of device drivers with 386/ix
	Ease of installation/configuration/reconfiguration
	Reliability
	Support

Naturally, the sales folks at each company tell me "no problem, our
board does that - its the best."  If anybody has any real-life
experience, comments or opinions about these products or any others
that I should be considering, I'd be very interested in hearing from
you.  I'll summarize to the net.

Thanks!!!

-Bob
Bob Barker                                                      (612) 934-2136
Robert Barker & Associates              ...!uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!barker
barker@wd0gol.mn.org                           ...!amdahl!bungia!wd0gol!barker

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (12/22/89)

In article <102@wd0gol.WD0GOL.MN.ORG> barker@wd0gol.WD0GOL.MN.ORG (Bob Barker) writes:

> I'm planning on purchasing a "smart" multi-port board for use on
> a Compaq Deskpro 386/25 running Interactive 386/ix version 2.0.1.

Have a look at Connect Tech Inc's Intellicon-8 smart card. We use
quite a few of them here and we are very happy with them.

> My primary concerns are:
>   Ability to support full hardware flow control with a trailblazer

The Intellicon series of smart cards do not support hardware flow
control with 386/ix (see note below), but if your only high speed
traffic is uucp, then you won't need hardware flow control.  The
uucp protocol takes care of everything. I run our trailblazer at
19200 and we have had no problems.  Here is a log of our typical
daily traffic. (News feeds of compressed batches).

Remote     K-Bytes   K-Bytes   K-Bytes  Hours  Hours AvCPS AvCPS    #    #
SiteName      Recv      Xmit     Total   Recv   Xmit  Recv  Xmit Recv Xmit
-------- --------- --------- --------- ------ ------ ----- ----- ---- ----
watmath   1472.370     0.000  1472.370   0.31   0.00  1304     0   44    0
maytag    1348.731     0.000  1348.731   0.29   0.00  1300     0   42    0

>   Compatibility of device drivers with 386/ix

Standard device driver for 386/ix, also support for MS-DOS,
PC-MOS/386, QNX, Xenix, Microport, ???

>   Ease of installation/configuration/reconfiguration

Trivial

>   Reliability

I've experienced no failures in the 3 years I've been using their
boards. Both here, and at a previous employer. My previous
employer purchases about 3 to 5 of these boards a month and has
never had any troubles.

>   Support

Very good. Free. Responsive. Knowledgeable.

They have boards with 2, 4, 8 ports. They support RS232, RS422,
RS485. They have a new product that allows you to combine the
different interfaces on one board.

You may contact Connect Tech at (519) 836-1291. I'm sure they have
a distributer near you.

-larry
Note: With respect to hardware handshaking. The board supports it,
but 386/ix blocks any access to it. Uucp traffic at 19200 into a
heavily loaded 20Mhz 386 is not bothered by lack of hardware
handshaking. And throughput is still excellent.

Also note: I'm not related to anyone at Connect Tech, I just like
their products.