[comp.unix.microport] text editor for uport

engelsma@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan R) (01/05/90)

I am running uport/AT version 2.4, and was wondering if anybody out
there has had any luck getting emacs, jove or any other decent editor
running on uport.  Information on where I can get the software and tips
on installing, building or whatever it needs would be greatly
appreciated.  I do have sources for jove, but ran into all kinds of
problems when I tried to make it.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Jonathan R. Engelsma                            Michigan State University
                                                     Department of
E-mail:   engelsma@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu               Computer Science
	  !uunet!frith!engelsma

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (01/05/90)

I've used all of the major micro emacs'es, i.e. jove, uemacs and
mg, on SV/AT.  I currently use a version of mg that has been fixed
in the following ways:

  - esc and ? work on file names, command names, and buffer names
  - there are no limits on line length or lines containing nulls.
	You can even edit binary files.

uemacs version 10 seems to be a considerable improvement over previous
releases, so you might want to consider it.  I haven't tried it on
SV/AT, but a previous version of uemacs worked, so I can't believe
bringing it up would be much trouble.  In general uemacs has more
programmability, but ? doesn't work in file names, etc.

I haven't had much trouble putting software from the net up on SV/AT,
as long as it supports System V release 2 and doesn't require 32-bit
int's or large arrays.  However I haven't tried any of the maximally
hairy packages such as netnews.  (Of course Gnu Emacs, gcc, etc., are
impossible, since the Gnu project assumes 32-bit processors with lots
of memory.)

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (01/05/90)

In article <5924@cps3xx.UUCP> engelsma@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan R) writes:
>I am running uport/AT version 2.4, and was wondering if anybody out
>there has had any luck getting emacs, jove or any other decent editor
>running on uport.  Information on where I can get the software and tips
>on installing, building or whatever it needs would be greatly
>appreciated.  I do have sources for jove, but ran into all kinds of
>problems when I tried to make it.

I've ported jove 4.14 (the latest release) to Microport V/AT 2.4.  Works
pretty good, but I've got one small bug.  Sometimes when I delete a line the
screen isn't refreshed properly and another line disappears (it's not
deleted, it is just erased from the screen - if I make jove redraw the
screen it will show that other line okay).  I also did some cleanup to the
System V support (also, naturally, put in extra support for CCI's version of
System V).

I posted this rather than sending mail because I thought others might be
interested.  I could generate diffs for 4.14.

>Thanks in advance,
>Jon

You're welcome.
-----
Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf *or*
...!attctc!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf@frau, tvf@cci632)	Daffy Duck Sings:
"I once knew an acrobat's daughter who swung by her teeth from a noose. 'Til
one day her bridgework gave way, and she flew through the air like a Goose!"

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (01/06/90)

In article <5924@cps3xx.UUCP>, engelsma@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan R) writes:

> I am running uport/AT version 2.4, and was wondering if anybody out
> there has had any luck getting emacs, jove or any other decent editor
> running on uport.

The "micro-emacs" called 'mg2a' compiled ok on my uPort without modification.

--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans@wb3ffv.ampr.org