[comp.unix.microport] Ventura Publisher under uport dosmerge

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (02/12/90)

	For some obscure reason, Ventura does not run in dosmerge.  Its
been a while, but I seem to remember it just hung the dos window, with
the window remaining blank.  The process had to be killed from another
terminal.  I am running with an EGA monitor.

	Anyone know any reasons for this?  Ventura runs fine under native
DOS.

	Also, does anyone know of other 386 unix flavors that have dos
compatibility software that Ventura will run with?

	Thanks.

-wat-

   --- An it harm none, do what you will.

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James R. Howard) (02/13/90)

In article <131672@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William
A. Turnbow) writes:

> 	For some obscure reason, Ventura does not run in dosmerge.  Its
> been a while, but I seem to remember it just hung the dos window, with
> the window remaining blank.  The process had to be killed from another
> terminal.  I am running with an EGA monitor.
>
> 	Anyone know any reasons for this?  Ventura runs fine under native
> DOS.
>
> 	Also, does anyone know of other 386 unix flavors that have dos
> compatibility software that Ventura will run with?
>
> 	Thanks.

If I remember correctly, VP/ix runs Ventura pretty well.  I do think
that standard VGA 640x480
is about the most you can get though, since the drivers typically can't
access extended
modes and custom cards under VP/ix.  For example, The GPX 1024x800 from
Renaissance will
not  "install" it's drivers under DOS since the drivers don't have
hardware access to the card.  They
think it's not a GPX.   At any rate, even with the GPX, you can get
programs to run 640x480.

James Howard
..cs.utexas.edu!dell!mustang!jrh   or    jrh@mustang.dell.com

"I've got a firm policy on gun control, if there's a gun
around, I want to be the one controlling it."
-- Clint Eastwood

jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) (02/14/90)

In article <131672@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>	For some obscure reason, Ventura does not run in dosmerge.
>	Also, does anyone know of other 386 unix flavors that have dos
>compatibility software that Ventura will run with?

I have run Ventura with VP/ix under ESIX Rev. C.
I have tried the pro additions also. I have not seen any problems,
well...... printing takes a long time!

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705

dave@pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) (02/15/90)

In article <469@everex.UUCP> jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) writes:
>I have run Ventura with VP/ix under ESIX Rev. C.
>I have tried the pro additions also. I have not seen any problems,
>well...... printing takes a long time!

VP/IX at Rev 1.1.1 still has the old same problem of only doing
output to the lp process every MAXSLICE clockticks. When you install
VP/IX now, they set MAXSLICE from the default of 100 to 25, but you can
get marginally improved printer output rate (still have to do that silly
printer flush garbage) by setting MAXSLICE to 15 or so. I didn't get any
better rate by going to 10, anyway.

--
Dave Remien +*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ WINCO Computer Engineering Group
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!dave or rzd@inel.gov     "Dave Barry for President"

gkm@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (gary.k.mc nees) (02/16/90)

With regard to printing under Ventura Publisher taking a long time, I
would like to share a simple way around the time problem.  While its
true that if one prints directly to the LPT1: device it takes like
forever.  But if you print to a file and then sent the file to the
printer (by cat in connected directly) the printing takes much much
less time.

Hope this helps.			Gary McNees

petri@digiw.UUCP (Petri Alhola) (02/17/90)

In article <469@everex.UUCP> jde@everex.UUCP (-Jeff Ellis) writes:
>In article <131672@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> williamt@sun.UUCP (William A. Turnbow) writes:
>>	For some obscure reason, Ventura does not run in dosmerge.
>>	Also, does anyone know of other 386 unix flavors that have dos
>>compatibility software that Ventura will run with?
>
>I have run Ventura with VP/ix under ESIX Rev. C.
>I have tried the pro additions also. I have not seen any problems,
>well...... printing takes a long time!

	I am using ventura with VP/ix 1.1 and it works nicely. It is true
	that printing is slow in big files. I use Ventura and Windows 2.1 and
	Corel DRAW drowing program and i do printing with Postscript
	laser connected in my 386/ix server. The fastest way to do
	is printing into file. It is wery easy with ventura and
	Corel DRAW. Then just switch into other virtual console and
	print file out. and it ih 100 times faster.

	Petri Alhola
	petri@digiw.fi