[comp.unix.microport] GFX Information

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (02/14/90)

| Does anyone have a copy of the GFX demos? The GFX device driver is included
| with the Microport V/AT Link Kit disk, however, there are no demos or librarys
| which would indicate how to use it.

The contents of the GFX Demo Disk from Ken Chapin at Microport
is (and always has been) avaliable without charge and
restriction.  It is avaliable from Microport Tech Support (Ha!);
from the Microport BBS (HaHa!); from anyone who already has it
(Getting warmer); or as part of the $20.00 Microport Best of the
BBS package.  You might even call Microport Sales and ask for
the GFX Demo disk - they may charge you for it (S&H), but they
*do* have it.

It has various demo programs on it (source, of course) to do
such things as Mandelbrodt sets, dragon curves,...  for
the 286 and 386.

Have Fun
   -John

Here's a quick example to get you going:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <gfx.h>

Gfx_Bitmap bm;

main()
{
    if ( !(bm = gfx_open()) ) {
	fprintf(stderr, "Can not open graphics screen\n");
	exit(1);
    }

    gfx_mode ( bm, GRAPHIC );
    gfx_dot  ( bm, 0,0, BLACK, GFX_SRC);/* to set the "clear" mode to GFX_SRC */
    gfx_clear( bm, BLACK );
    gfx_vect ( bm, 100, 350 - 100,	/* (100,100) */
		    10, 350 -  10,	/* ( 10, 10) */
      		   GREEN,  GFX_OR);
    sleep(10);
    gfx_mode ( bm, ALPHA );
}

mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) (02/14/90)

From article <131765@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher):
> | Does anyone have a copy of the GFX demos? The GFX device driver is included
>
> The contents of the GFX Demo Disk from Ken Chapin at Microport
> is (and always has been) avaliable without charge and
>         (possibly available)    from anyone who already has it
>
> Have Fun
>    -John

Hi,
	Would it be possible for some kind soul to post the contents of
	this disk here, possibly in a split uuencoded tar file?

	This would be gratefully received by many people I should think.

Thanks,

	--Mike

--
|Michael A. Green.              |JANET:  mike@uk.ac.keele.cs                |
|Department of Computer Science |BITNET: mike%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl            |

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (02/15/90)

+-- In <1253@kl-cs.UUCP> mike@cs.keele.ac.uk (Michael A. Green) writes
| > The contents of the GFX Demo Disk from Ken Chapin at Microport
| Hi,
| 	Would it be possible for some kind soul to post the contents of
+--

			PLEASE DON'T!

The compressed, uuencoded, and split disk image is EIGHT 60K chunks.
At 1200 baud this works out to over an hour of modem time PER Usenet site
Granted, at 19.2Kbaud it is only 10 minutes, but it still is a very
significant amount of money.

Try getting it from Microport - and if they can't/won't get you a
copy for ~< US$20.00 *then* let the world know and then think about
having someone (singular) post the stuff.

Don't EVER make the assumption that the "net" is free.  It may not
cost *you* much (if anything), but for many of us, the money is real.

	-John Plocher

Some eye opening figures:

Assume that 100 people on the net find the GFX demo useful.
Assume that they could have gotten it from Microport for $20.00.
Total cost = $2,000

Assume 5,000 Usenet sites
Assume 2400 baud comunications between them (40 minutes transfer time)
Assume a $10.00/hour phone charge ($0.1666 per minute)
Total cost = (5000 * 40 * .1666) = $33,320 ($6.60/site)

Assume 5,000 Usenet sites
Assume 9600 baud comunications between them (10 minutes transfer time)
Assume a $10.00/hour phone charge ($0.1666 per minute)
Total cost = (5000 * 10 * .1666) = $8,330 ($1.66/site)

lewis@anet.ann-arbor.mi.us (Dave Lewis) (02/19/90)

In article <131765@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher@sun.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
> | Does anyone have a copy of the GFX demos?
>
> The contents of the GFX Demo Disk from Ken Chapin at Microport
> is (and always has been) avaliable without charge and
> restriction.

Note also that gl_plot is available from comp.sources.unix servers (volume
18).  Documentation and demo code included.  Does graphics on SV/AT, uses
shared memory access rather than a device driver (printers also supported).

plocher@sally.Sun.COM (John Plocher) (02/22/90)

+-- In <1990Feb18.225629.9045@anet.ann-arbor.mi.us> Dave Lewis writes
| In article <131765@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> John Plocher writes:
| > The contents of the GFX Demo Disk from Ken Chapin at Microport
|
| Note also that gl_plot is available from comp.sources.unix servers (volume
| 18).  Documentation and demo code included.  Does graphics on SV/AT, uses
| shared memory access rather than a device driver (printers also supported).
+--

Just a note of appreciation:

   Dave's library is very good - has lots of neat stuff in it.
   An (out of date?) version is included on the GFX disk - modified to
   use the GFX interface instead of the shared memory that gl_plot
   uses...

    -John