[comp.unix.microport] Uugetty for V/AT?

tvf@frau.UUCP (Thomas V. Frauenhofer) (03/05/90)

I recall (a long time ago) reading that the if you ordered the HDB UUCP disk
from Microport (this was for V/AT, not for the 386 product) that it included
uugetty (the version posted to the Microport BBS didn't).  Is this true?  Is
there any way I could get a copy of it, either from Microport or otherwise?
I am a registered V/AT user.

Thanks in advance!
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!swamps!!frau!tvf *or*
...!uunet!atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf@frau, tvf@cci632)

" Maynard) (03/07/90)

In article <65@frau.UUCP> tvf@frau.UUCP (Thomas V. Frauenhofer) writes:
>I recall (a long time ago) reading that the if you ordered the HDB UUCP disk
>from Microport (this was for V/AT, not for the 386 product) that it included
>uugetty (the version posted to the Microport BBS didn't).  Is this true?  Is
>there any way I could get a copy of it, either from Microport or otherwise?
>I am a registered V/AT user.

I'm curious. Why would you need uugetty? As I understand it, uugetty's
sole purpose in life is to allow incoming and outgoing calls on the same
tty port - and Microport's serial driver, admittedly some of the
buggiest code known to man for a time, at least does that well and
cleanly. Just point your gettys to ttyM# and use tty# for your outgoing
calls. It works very well.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

dr@myrias.com (Dragos Ruiu) (03/08/90)

In article <.3H+FA#@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>In article <65@frau.UUCP> tvf@frau.UUCP (Thomas V. Frauenhofer) writes:
>>I recall (a long time ago) reading that the if you ordered the HDB UUCP disk
>>from Microport (this was for V/AT, not for the 386 product) that it included
>>uugetty (the version posted to the Microport BBS didn't).  Is this true?  Is
>>there any way I could get a copy of it, either from Microport or otherwise?
>>I am a registered V/AT user.
>
>I'm curious. Why would you need uugetty? As I understand it, uugetty's
>sole purpose in life is to allow incoming and outgoing calls on the same
>tty port - and Microport's serial driver, admittedly some of the
>buggiest code known to man for a time, at least does that well and
>cleanly. Just point your gettys to ttyM# and use tty# for your outgoing
>calls. It works very well.

 Using dial in/out on a port of a smart serial board comes to mind.

 I've got an hdb disk, with a broken (the hex sequence number problem)
hdb on it. That hdb came from the SysV r2 hdb. The hdb from the bbs
(which I run) is a port of the SysVr3 version. It works quite well
but has no uugetty. I have not tried the uugetty from the old version
with the new hdb, but I just put in a DigiBoard COM4i so I might be
bothered to try.

 Let you know how it works as soon as I get the new drivers for my
terminal board (mine are old outdated ones, from a used board).

--
Dragos Ruiu          What do you get when you cross a grape with an elephant ?
myrias!dr                        Grape Elephant Sine Theta