[comp.unix.microport] Problems with formatting floppy under System V/386

rp@osc.COM (Rich Patterson) (03/07/90)

Hi,
	I've had some problems formatting floppy disks(1.2M) under System V/386.
If I format a disk using format and then try to cpio I get a write failure.
If the disk was formatted under DOS then I can read/write the disk with
no problems.  I have no problem reading or writing archives from floppies that
have been previously formatted (like an old set of distribution diskettes) or
those formatted under DOS.  I've also written a program to format the disks
using the ioctl (vtoc) interface and I get the same results.
	Have I missed something here ??  The diskettes I'm using are from
Kodak.  Has anyone experienced similar problems with any other blank
unformatted diskettes ???

Thanks in advance,
rp@osc.com
{pyramid,amdcad}!osc!rp

hcj@lzsc.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (03/10/90)

In article <2112@osc.COM>, rp@osc.COM (Rich Patterson) writes:
> Hi,
> 	I've had some problems formatting floppy disks(1.2M) under System V/386.
> If I format a disk using format and then try to cpio I get a write failure.
> If the disk was formatted under DOS then I can read/write the disk with
> no problems.  I have no problem reading or writing archives from floppies that

Remember to format the whole floppy.  In your case, f0q15dt.
You then have the choice of outputting your cpio to f0, f0q15d; or f0t, f0q15dt.
If you only format f0q15d, and try to use f0 (or installpkg) then
there is no correct information in track 0 for the driver to key onto.

P.S. use format /dev/rdsk/f0q15dt, not the face menu.  It likes to get
confused when formatting a disk, that is not already formatted.  Just my
opinion.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzsc!hcj
hcj@lzsc.att.com

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/12/90)

In article <2112@osc.COM> rp@osc.COM (Rich Patterson) writes:
<Hi,
<	I've had some problems formatting floppy disks(1.2M) under System V/386.
<If I format a disk using format and then try to cpio I get a write failure.
<If the disk was formatted under DOS then I can read/write the disk with
<no problems.  I have no problem reading or writing archives from floppies that
<have been previously formatted (like an old set of distribution diskettes) or
<those formatted under DOS.  I've also written a program to format the disks
<using the ioctl (vtoc) interface and I get the same results.
<	Have I missed something here ??  The diskettes I'm using are from
<Kodak.  Has anyone experienced similar problems with any other blank
<unformatted diskettes ???

You don't say what /dev driver you are using with format.  That would be
very helpful.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\         spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown