[comp.unix.microport] Modem problems with Trailblazer +

vern@zebra.UUCP (Vernon C. Hoxie) (04/05/90)

In article <513@compnect.UUCP>, dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) writes:
> Before someone whips out their RTFM auto-reply, I have. I have NO man
> pages for uugetty either in the system or the books. getty works but the
> modem argues with it. uugetty works but the modem won't respond at 9600.

One of the problems I have experienced with TB's and other modems is the
echo function in the modem.  When the modem answers the line, it emits a
'RING'.  This can trigger the getty/uugetty.  It also sets 'login' to
an upper case only mode and sends "PLEASE LOGIN:" instead of "Please
login:".

On my TB, I have the echo function set to 'Q6'.  This allows limited
echoing from the modem which uucp can handle.  On a Midcom (sp?), we had
to set echoing off, 'Q1', and put a 'ATQ0' at the start of the chat
script in order to get an 'OK' when starting up.

As far as manuals is concerned, the Nutshell books are widely
recommended.  I have the one with a Bear on the cover.  I feel that it
is better when setting up various uucp sites than the one with an Ibex
on the cover.  Really can't say absolutely since I have not studied the
version with the Ibex.

BTW. I have written a program which provides a set of interactive screens
for programming a TB and testing different termio(7) settings.  It was
written with 'curses' on a SYSV machine.  As far as I know, it hasn't been
tried on any other system.  If anyone wants a copy, they can get it from
the osu/3b1 archive or conntact me.

--
Vernon C. Hoxie		       {ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!zebra!vern
3975 W. 29th Ave.					voice: 303-477-1780

dave@compnect.UUCP (Dave Ratcliffe) (04/13/90)

About 2 weeks ago I posted a DESPERATE plea for help with a major
problem we've been having at site compnect with our borrowed TB+ modem.
My thanks to all who responded with info and suggestions. All remarks
were appreciated. Soon as I get some time, I'll post a summary of
our newsfeeds and connection to the outside world running at 9600 bps,
no more getty screaming at the TB which is screaming back..., and the
BBS callers can still call at 24/12/300 bps with no problems. For the
record, 9600 SHOULD work for calling the BBS as well. We have a new set
of drivers coming from Digiboard for the intelligent board that may help
cure the rest of our problems (minor at this point).

This whole episode just proves to me that despite the flamewars in
news.groups and the self appointed net.police@yourback, the 'Net is a
good place to come for help.

BTW, I acknowledged (I hope) every message I recieved and so far, none
have bounced. If you haven't gotten a reply yet, then I probably never
got your message.

Thanks again folks...

          *>> Dave <<*

[------: Dave Ratcliffe :--------:----: 2832 Croyden Rd. Harrisburg Pa. :----]
:   dave@compnect.uucp    -or-   :           The Data Factory BBS            :
:   uunet!wa3wbu!compnect!dave   :   Data: (717)657-4997 - (717)657-4992     :