[comp.unix.microport] Microport is back...

root@mccc.uucp (0000-Admin(0000)) (04/12/90)

I just got off the phone with a fellow at Microport (1-408-425-8649) who
said that (a) their Text Prep System *will* work with AT&T SV R.3.2.2
(see my previous posting -- sorry about that!), (b) Microport has been
bought and they are coming out of Chapter 11, (c) they are working on
R4.0, target release date is end of this year, and (d) they will be
offering a trade-in/upgrade policy for 3.0 customers who wish to go to 4.0.

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Tech'gy/Comp'r/Math Div.     Mercer College - 1200 Old Trenton Road

nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr11.183621.6055@mccc.uucp> root@mccc.uucp (0000-Admin(0000)) writes:
>...(b) Microport has been
>bought and they are coming out of Chapter 11, (c) they are working on
>R4.0, target release date is end of this year, and (d) they will be
>offering a trade-in/upgrade policy for 3.0 customers who wish to go to 4.0.

Whoopee!  Seriouslym, though, unless things have changed, they'll
have some problems.  I'd expect, at minimum:

- returned phone calls
- evidence of serious tech support and software development/fixes
  IN HOUSE

who wants to buy the new version if it won't be maintained/fixed
when broken?  What better way to establish its seriousness than
by taking care of the loose ends in the old version?  (I know,
they need revenue.  So get things right and charge reasonable
and appropriate fees for enhancements etc.)

Perhaps they'd consider starting by sending a mailing to those
of us who bought from them before Chapter 11, detailing such
things as availability of upgrades/fixes (like the famous SCSI
device driver, so long in "beta" form).

The last time I called, the promised items were shipped... but
I had the distinct impression that there was only one person in
the office, and that "tech support" hadn't been hired yet.

Perhaps they can lure John Plocher back.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840
			| eves: (312) 373-0564

jms@unix386.Convergent.COM (John Sully) (04/13/90)

As an ex-Microport employee, I can assure you that they are indeed out of
chapter 11.

I know for a fact that they are hiring engineers right now, but that
engineering efforts will be directed mostly at getting the product up to
date (ie, SVR 4.0).  They are negotiating with Locus to get the current
version of Merge 386 and will ship that as soon as it is integrated with
the current product.

I do not know the status of hiring efforts for a support department, but
you can be sure that they will be hiring people to do that job as it is
seen as being *extremely* important to the success of the new company.

John M. Sully

williamt@athena1.Sun.COM (William A. Turnbow) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr13.001659.8460@ddsw1.MCS.COM> nvk@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Norman Kohn) writes:

>who wants to buy the new version if it won't be maintained/fixed
>when broken?  What better way to establish its seriousness than
>by taking care of the loose ends in the old version?  (I know,
>they need revenue.  So get things right and charge reasonable
>and appropriate fees for enhancements etc.)
--------
	Is it better for them to spend money and resources fixing the old
product, or is it better to incorporate those fixes into the new
product?  If you only have enough resources to do one or the other,
I would submit that it is better to get the new release out.  Besides,
they really can't be competitive if they don't have the new version
out -- and they won't stay long in business.  Something that would
not be good for us -- the customers.

-wat
***
    We felt the effects of herb were so dangerous that it was better
    to lie to the american public to save them rather than tell them
    the truth -- Partnership for a Drug Free America