[comp.unix.microport] SV/AT on RLL drives

kenc@nos850.UUCP (Ken Cornetet) (05/01/90)

Has anyone succeded in running SV/AT on RLL drives ?  I assume this would
require a new disk driver and some special parameters when doing the initial
"mkfs"

Has anyone done this ?
--
Ken Cornetet                           | Try nos850!kenc  -- or --
6506 Connie Dr, Louisville, KY 40258   | ...!uunet!coplex!nos850!kenc

bob@obiwan.UUCP (Bob Willcox) (05/02/90)

In article <183@nos850.UUCP> kenc@nos850.UUCP (Ken Cornetet) writes:
>Has anyone succeded in running SV/AT on RLL drives ?  I assume this would
>require a new disk driver and some special parameters when doing the initial
>"mkfs"

Version 2.4 supports RLL drives.  As I recall, 2.3 (and earlier) did not.

>Has anyone done this ?

I have been running an Adaptec 2372 with two drives for about 1 1/2
years on this system.

--
Bob Willcox                 ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!obiwan!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224 (home)

johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) (05/03/90)

In article <183@nos850.UUCP> kenc@nos850.UUCP (Ken Cornetet) writes:
>Has anyone succeded in running SV/AT on RLL drives ?  I assume this would
>require a new disk driver and some special parameters when doing the initial
>"mkfs"
>
>Has anyone done this ?

I am currently running Microport System V/AT 2.4 on a Western Digital
WD1006V-SR2 and Miniscribe 6085.  The original controller was
a WD1003-WA2 (MFM).  All I did was backup the file system, install
the new controller, reformat the disk, reinstall UNIX and restore
the backups.  No software changes were needed.

--
John A. Limpert		The strongest reason for the people to retain the right
johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET	to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect