[comp.unix.microport] ksh / emacsmode ???

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (07/29/90)

As Microport was about to disappear I never upgraded to V/AT 2.4, but
I got the Korn shell for it. I just picked installed V/AT again, and
I just can't remember how to switch on emacs editing in ksh. Anybody
got advice ? Also, if anyone from Microport is listening - can I still
upgrade from 2.3 to 2.4 ?

Per
--
---
Per Andersson

" Maynard) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul29.141650.26386@kth.se> perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>I just picked installed V/AT again, and
>I just can't remember how to switch on emacs editing in ksh. Anybody
>got advice ?

You don't.

Apparently, ksh is big enough that it needs large model to fit everything
in; the only problem is that ksh apparently does the usual nasty things
that make it not work in large model. Microport did about the only thing
they could short of a total rewrite, or buying a working version from
Mortice Kern Systems: they made two versions, one with vi mode only, and
one with emacs mode only. If you have the vi-mode one, you're stuck.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

blair@obdient.chi.il.us (Doug Blair) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul29.141650.26386@kth.se>, perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
> I just can't remember how to switch on emacs editing in ksh. Anybody
> got advice ? Also, if anyone from Microport is listening - can I still

Per:

Another posting from Jay Maynard details the two versions of ksh for uport's
286 unix.  I got both of these when I ordered the set of Microport BBS
disks, which contains the "best of" the various files that used to be
(and might still be) on Microport's BBS.

Microport IS still in business and quite healthy these days.  You can reach
them at (US) 408-425-8649.  The set of 8 BBS software disks is product
number 086-000-111-9, cost was $20.00 US plus shipping as of 03-01-90.

Doug
 ___  _           _  _             _
|___||___/\___/\___||_|\___/|_|_| |_|   708-653-5527  blair@obdient.chi.il.us

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (07/31/90)

In article <5KV&Z9C@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>In article <1990Jul29.141650.26386@kth.se> perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>>I just can't remember how to switch on emacs editing in ksh.
>
>You don't.

Yes, I do. I do have the emacs version, so that wasn't the problem. For others
that might be in the same situation,
EDITOR=emacs;export EDITOR
VISUAL=emacs;export VISUAL
FCEDIT=emacs;export FCEDIT

in your .profile does the trick. It's probably the FCEDIT that does the trick.
Also if the shell is already started 'set -o emacs' turns it on immediatly.
Thanks to everyone responding!

Per
--
---
Per Andersson
Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
perand@admin.kth.se, @nada.kth.se

" Maynard) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul30.202358.11116@kth.se> perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>In article <5KV&Z9C@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>>In article <1990Jul29.141650.26386@kth.se> perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) writes:
>>>I just can't remember how to switch on emacs editing in ksh.
>>You don't.
>Yes, I do. I do have the emacs version, so that wasn't the problem.

Sorry about that; I made an unwarranted assumption - that you were using
the vi version.

>For others that might be in the same situation,
>EDITOR=emacs;export EDITOR
>VISUAL=emacs;export VISUAL
>FCEDIT=emacs;export FCEDIT
>in your .profile does the trick. It's probably the FCEDIT that does the trick.
>Also if the shell is already started 'set -o emacs' turns it on immediatly.
>Thanks to everyone responding!

The VISUAL variable isn't necessary, but having the other two set
probably is. I seem to remember that the manpage says that it's EDITOR
that it looks at, but I think FCEDIT is needed, too. Note that the shell
looks at the last part of the variable value, and as long as it ends in
emacs, it's OK; my FCEDIT contains the full path name of the emacs
program.