[net.micro] 808x Unisplats

eric@wucs.UUCP (03/22/84)

[Segmentation fault (core dumped)]

How do the 808x Uni* ports and clones handle those little
nuances of Uni* and C programming which we all know:

	rouge pointers
	process memory protection
	system security

Do the C compilers for these systems allow the programmer, in the
absence of the latter two concerns, to create programs which have
I and D spaces greater than 64K by playing with the segment registers?

Does news and uucp run on these systems acceptably?  Does the file
system trash out often?

eric
--
..!ihnp4!afinitc!wucs!eric

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (04/01/84)

> From: eric@wucs.UUCP
>
> Does news and uucp run on these systems acceptably?  Does the file
> system trash out often?

As this reply testifies...yes to the first; no to the second.

t4test (my machine) is VAX 11/780 running Eunice.  It talks through
intelca, which is an Intel 86/380 running Xenix.  Believe it or not,
they have had less trouble getting uucp to run on their system than
we have.  The 86/380 is a Multibus based 8086 system.

  Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
  {pur-ee,hplabs,ucbvax!amd70,ogcvax!omsvax}!intelca!t4test!chip

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (04/02/84)

>t4test (my machine) is VAX 11/780 running Eunice.  It talks through
>intelca, which is an Intel 86/380 running Xenix.  Believe it or not,
>they have had less trouble getting uucp to run on their system than
>we have.  The 86/380 is a Multibus based 8086 system.

correction, we (intelca) are a 286/380 system, using the 80286
microprocessor.
--
Ken Shoemaker, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,ucbvax!amd70,ogcvax!omsvax}!intelca!kds

plb@omsvax.UUCP (Phil Barrett) (04/03/84)

To set the record straight, intelca is an 80286
based system (rather than 86 based). However, there
are a substantial number of 86 based Xenix (UNIX V7)
systems around that have uucp and mail (various
flavors) running quite nicely. These are systems
supplied by both Intel and Altos. Also, I believe I
saw something on the net about uucp and mail working
on the Interactive Systems UNIX (S3) that IBM sells for
the PC.

BTW, intelca is running B news (2.10 or later).