[soc.culture.china] Usenet debate reported on the front page of The New York Times

zqli@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Zhenqin Li) (02/20/89)

It is interesting that the recent debate about computer link to USSR
on comp.misc has been reported on the front page of today (February 19)'s
"The New York Times".

ijohnson@udenva.cair.du.edu (ILENE JOHNSON ) (02/21/89)

In article <7435@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> zqli@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Zhenqin Li) writes:

>It is interesting that the recent debate about computer link to USSR
>on comp.misc has been reported on the front page of today (February 19)'s
>"The New York Times".

Would you please summarize this article or post it if it is short?
Some of us don't get the New York Times out here in the boonies! :-)
Thanks.

ijohnson@udenva
Ilene K. Johnson

zqli@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Zhenqin Li) (02/22/89)

In article <11260@udenva.cair.du.edu> ijohnson@udenva.UUCP (Ilene K. Johnson) writes:
>In article <7435@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> zqli@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Zhenqin Li) writes:
>>
>>It is interesting that the recent debate about computer link to USSR
>>on comp.misc has been reported on the front page of today (February 19)'s
>>"The New York Times".
>

>Would you please summarize this article or post it if it is short?
>Some of us don't get the New York Times out here in the boonies! :-)
>Thanks.

The article is more than half page long. To save my time, instead of
making a summery, I am posting a part of JBH Online news. By the way,
for those who do not subscribe to NYT, and can not find it in a
library (!), I recommend subscribing to the JBH online mailing list.
For people on BITNET, type:
IBM/VM: TELL LISTSERV AT IRISHVM SUB ONLINE-L your name
VAX/VMS: SEND LISTSERV@IRISHVM SUB ONLINE-L your name

For non-BITNET people, send email with text:
SUB ONLINE-L your name
to: listserv@irishvm.bitnet

Date:    Sun, 19 Feb 89 14:28 EST
To: JBH Online subscribers               <ONLINE@IRISHMVS>
From: NYT Listing from JBH Online          <NYTLSTG@IRISHMVS.BITNET>
Subject: NYT Sun, 19 Feb 1989

&&&&&&&&&&&&  Welcome to the NYT Listing from JBH Online  &&&&&&&&&&&&

                       Sunday, 19 February 1989

    The following items included in this morning's National Edition of
the New York Times caught my eye:

    >  the San Francisco/Moscow Teleport, a direct computer link
         between the US and USSR (already familiar to recipients of
         several electronic mail discussion lists, including Disarm-L)
         (sec. 1, pp. 1 & 20);

(about 100 lines deleted)

I hope regular netters of comp.misc can help summarize the part about
Usenet debate.

--
Zhenqin Li  (607) 255-0556 (O)   |    "All hope carry annotations."
Dept of Physics, Cornell Univ.   |          -Bei Dao